Setting up a Wan connection between three facilities.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zerohour80

I am not sure where to start. I have been asked to connect are other to plant locations to are main plant. Both facilities are 40+ miles apart so I will have to rent fiber line but I am not sure what line to rent and also the best cost effective issue. Each location has there own servers. Each location has roughly around 35 workstations.
I just want them to be able share data if needed and also access email. The data would be access database,sql,excel files etc. For email access I am not sure what I am going to do because of the speed issue. I am currently running exchange 2003 I am not really advanced when it comes to Exchange. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. If you need any more info please ask. Thanks.

It seems like the best option is to set up a VPN between the sites. The best way to do this is with Cisco routers (althought you will need a Cisco trained engineer to set this up). You can then have a WAN set up for the three sites as if they are on the same network. Obviously, this is best acheived with ADSL connections on each site.

You don't need a Cisco unless you can afford it. A lot of the SOHO routers you can buy retail can also do site to site VPN and you will save a ton of money. You will also get free setup support from the manufacturer which you will not get from Cisco directly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online