Setting up a WiFi repeater or Access point

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ronfiveo

I would like to know the step by step to :

1) set up a repeater using an another router.

2) set up an alternate access point (with out Ethernet connection to it if possible using the routerlogin.net)

What are the major advantages and disadvantages of both.

My router is a Netgear N750 Dual Band Gigabit Router and the router I would like to use to boost the signal is the same model.

The problem is that the signal is not strong enough sometimes to use my Galaxy S4 on the other side of the house away from the router. And sometimes the signal does loose strength to my desktop using an internal wireless adapter for WiFi .

The desktop is not so much the issue but the phone is.

So, I thought I would try to increase the range of the router to cover the areas of the house that are receiving a week signal from the router.

Thanks for all your help.

TerryNet

Terry
Not sure what all you are asking, but one part seems to be asking how to use a router as a wireless access point. For this see the following.

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected! [TerryNet Note: assume that all routers made in the last five or six years or more have auto-sensing ports.]

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

Most routers can be configured as an access point (ie repeater). Since you have a Netgear already I would recommend buying one of theirs for compatibility sake. Make sure it can be reconfigured as an access point. The instruction manual should give you all the specifics. Take a laptop and connect to your existing router wirelessly, then walk toward the location you want to serve. When you start loosing signal you are getting out of range of the existing router. Put the access point where you still have a decent signal but are close to where you want to extend the signal to. Plug it in to the A/C outlet and try it out. A little experimentation on location should take care of your needs.

ronfiveo

I am wanting to set up a repeater and not an additional access point using an another router to do this.
The base router being the one connected to the modem / cable and the second router being the repeater in another part of the house. (with out running an Ethernet cable to it)

Last edited:

ronfiveo

Most routers can be configured as an access point (ie repeater). Since you have a Netgear already I would recommend buying one of theirs for compatibility sake. Make sure it can be reconfigured as an access point. The instruction manual should give you all the specifics. Take a laptop and connect to your existing router wirelessly, then walk toward the location you want to serve. When you start loosing signal you are getting out of range of the existing router. Put the access point where you still have a decent signal but are close to where you want to extend the signal to. Plug it in to the A/C outlet and try it out. A little experimentation on location should take care of your needs.

Both routers are the exact same model.

How do I set it up?

TerryNet

Terry
There was no need for you to post another copy of JohnWill's procedure.

If you want to use a router as a Repeater (Range Extender) you first determine if it is capable of that mode (most are not, unless that has changed with newer routers) and then follow the user manual.

ronfiveo

There was only a quick setup guide.
Thanks for the like. The 😊

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts