1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up a Wired Connection for Xbox Gaming

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lolllana, Jul 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lolllana

lolllana Thread Starter

I really need help here. I have an Asus RT-AC5300 router and I have Spectrum as my internet service provider. I want to have a more stable internet connection when it comes to gaming, so I want to wire my router directly to my Xbox using an ethernet cable. Now, my router is already currently connected to the modem itself via ethernet cable, and when I unplug it, the router says I have no internet connection. I know for a fact that people wire their internet connections without having to have the router connected to a modem, but I don’t know how. Is there anything I can purchase to have a direct wired connection to the Xbox from my router without having to worry about the modem? I currently use a wireless internet connection but it isn’t the best which is why I want to wire it. Any help, anything I can buy? Thank you!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi lolllana, and welcome to TSG.

Leave the WAN port of the RT-AC5300 connected to your modem. The Xbox Ethernet cable cable needs to plug into one of the four LAN ports to the right of WAN port on the RT-AC5300.

3. lolllana

lolllana Thread Starter

So no matter what, I have to have the modem connected to the router in order to make the wired connection work? The modem is all the way in another room connected to the landline phone, etc., is there any adapter or anything I can use to get the connection without the router being connected to the modem?

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Your router can not connect directly to the Internet all by itself. If your only source of your Internet connection comes from the Spectrum modem and you want to have a wired connection from your Xbox to the Internet, then, Yes, the router needs to be wired to the modem and the Xbox needs to be wired to the router. There are adapters available can run a wired connection using a person's existing house electrical wiring. They may not always work or provide a stable and fast connection depending on how a given residence is wired.

Here is a link to an example of such a product.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704165

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice