1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up a wireless network/server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Charlie13, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Charlie13

Charlie13 Thread Starter

I own a small Business and we are trying to set up a new wireless network. the building is 3 stories with many rooms and brick walls. My goal is to have wireless internet accessible in every room of the building and everyone who is connected to the network to have access to our main server with documents on it. What is the best way to go about this.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Hire a networking consultant with experience in a difficult environment such as this.

3. Charlie13

Charlie13 Thread Starter

Thank you Terry,
    I was trying to avoid that because we do have a limited budget and i wasn't sure if it would be possible to set up myself.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Well, you asked for "best way." :)

I've got some other suggestions for "do it myself way." I mostly stay away from business networks because I have no experience with them or with servers or domains, and realize that network downtime is considerably more costly to a business than to a household. They also tend to be much bigger than home networks. So I'll only comment on some ideas to determine how much wireless equipment you will need.

I would try to stick with 802.11n routers or wireless access points, as they will give better range than 802.11g, and may result in less total cost because of needing fewer.

Place one router or wireless access point somewhere "central" (middle room on middle floor would be maximum central). It need not be connected to anything other than electricity, as all you will do initially is check the signal. Now start walking around with your smallest wireless device--Wi-Fi detector, smart phone, netbook, etc.--and see what area is covered. Make sure you can actually communicate with the router from the weaker coverage areas (not just be able to detect the signal). That should begin to give you an idea of how many wireless access points are going to be needed, and where. You will want to run ethernet cables to those spots.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice