1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up a wireless network using a 3Com router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by oronbl, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oronbl

oronbl Thread Starter

Hello all,

I've set a wireless network in my home using a 3Com router.
    I'm trying to change the network name (SSID) and to set a password using the broswer (after i entered an IP address to access the router's setting page) to make the network available only to me. After creating the necessary settings i press the "Save" button and then "Apply". The router now starts a countdown of 30 seconds until the setting become active (though it's weird that i can still browse the web during this time).
    Yet, when i try to connect to the wireless network i see that the SSID hadn't change (default: 3Com) and that there is no password. Also, i'm not sure about the exact period of time, but when accessing the router's setting page again i see that nothing had been saved.

What do i have to do to *really* save my setting and restrict the access to my wireless network?

Thanks a lot!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like a defective router. Make sure you have the latest firmware; then reset it to factory default settings. If it still does not work properly it is defective.

3. oronbl

oronbl Thread Starter

You wouldn't believe it but what i had to do was simply using Internet Explorer as my browser instead of Firefox...

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Strange. There have been a few cases where a router's configuration pages will not display in one browser but will in another, but this is the first case like this I have heard of. Glad you got it working, and thanks for posting the solution.

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1017962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice