Setting up a wireless network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JoelBMD

Hello,

I'm attempting to set up a slightly unusual wireless network in that it's part home / part commercial.
I'm in a college dorm and there is wifi access for all devices and there is also ethernet, the issue is that not all devices can connect to either network. So I have purchased a wifi router (TD-W8960N) for those devices (Switch, Philips hue and phone). In addition I have a desktop (win 10) connected to ethernet with a wifi adapter to connect to this new network as well. Diagram in image below.

Annotation 2020-08-13 125328.png
The connection between the uni internet and my desktop resets weekly and every Monday I have to log in to a captive portal. The university network has each device isolated on the network so I can't use the university access point along with other logistical reasons for my devices.

This setup worked last semester as long as I access the captive portal once a week via my phone on my router's wifi network, however since leaving and coming back I can no longer access even university websites via the router. I currently have my ethernet connection set to shared in the ethernet properties.

Any help would be appreciated since i've found out my lights limit their functionality when disconnected from the internet.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I doubt this is an acceptable use of the University's network. The University's IT department probably enabled a NAC feature blocking what you're trying to do.

TerryNet

Terry
You need to consult your IT department to see if a setup like this is allowed (doubtful!). If it is, they will be in the best position to advise on how to improve it. Closing, as your IT department is your best source for help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online