1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up a workgroup over a campus LAN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rdrnr68, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rdrnr68

rdrnr68 Thread Starter

I am a college student and some of my fellow students and I are trying to set up a workgroup over the campus LAN to work on projects and such. I am running XP pro and they are running XP home. The workgroup is set up, but the only computer I see in My Network Places is my own and it is the same for my friends. I am lost at this point and don't know what to try next so we can see eachother's computers. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank You

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

My guess is you are not in the same subnet, so this is probably not going to work without help from the college IT dept.

To confirm this, on two of the computers attempting to connect, do this:

Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The NetBIOS setting of Default works fine so there is no need to change that either.

4. JohnWill

Bob, it's on a campus LAN, so they obviously don't get to pick the addressing scheme. :rolleyes:

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

johnwill,

Please read the post carefully. I never mentioned to do anything about picking the IP addressing scheme.

It does say a couple of times to check what the IP information is. (IP address, subnet mask, gateway and dns).

6. JohnWill

Perhaps you should read my post more carefully. He has no choice in the IP address or subnet mask. The point of asking for the IPCONFIG display was to see if that is in fact the problem.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

To refresh a little:

Bob - "1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses."

Johnwill - "Bob, it's on a campus LAN, so they obviously don't get to pick the addressing scheme."

Again, not asking to pick or chose anything. No words like that were ever in anything I ever mentioned so am at best totally confused about why it keeps being brought up. It is however important to "make sure" you have the correct IP information for your network.

The reason making sure you have the same IP scheme is that it is a lot easier to network when the basics are taken care of first. For example if they are using DHCP, and are getting IP information that is not correct, (even though they can't "pick" it), then it is unlikely they will be able to get much more along with solving the network problem. Since generally an important first step to be sure of is making sure you have the correct TCP/IP configuration, I like to include if fairly early on in the testing. No point in worrying about user access for example if you can't even ping. That will come later on.

So even though you can't pick or chose what IP address information you might have, it is important to be sure of what it is.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

rdrnr68,

Even if you are on the same subnet, there is quite a bit else that needs to be done. For example, even though IPCONFIG might show the same IP scheme etc. (even though you might not be able to pick or chose it), if you can't ping the other computers by IP and Name, there is still going to be work done. Having the same IP scheme is only the beginning.

Just follow the steps in order and let me know how far you get.

9. Ddruid

Ddruid

One obvious thing that is being overlooked since it is a campus lan is that all netbios traffic is being blocked..

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Should that be the case, there are still alternative solutions. Until we hear back from rdrnr68, it is difficult to determine with any certainty the network configuration.

11. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

That may be possible but the Technical College I went to did not block Netbios traffic.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice