1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up an internal chat feature in companies intranet

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Feds, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Feds

Feds Thread Starter

Hey All,

I have surfed the web for hours on end before coming upon this website. I am hoping someone may be able to decypher what I need and hopefully propell me in the proper direction.

I am a part of an internal "helpdesk" team in a telecommunication company. Basically what we do is help our frontline CSR/TSR's with any questions or concerns regarding our company.

We have intranet set up which all employees have access to (certain levels of access). What I am looking to do is find a cost effective method of having a, for lack of a better term, "Chat" feature that we can put on our companies internal resource page.

As it currently sits agents need to call us for assistance. As we move forward, in trying to adapt to the new employees that we are hiring (they're getting younger and younger), it would be fantastic to have a "Modern" way of having our agents ask their questions in a way they find more comfortable.

I am not sure if this is a valid question to ask in this forum. I put it under "Business Applications" as it seemed appropriate. What I would like to see is where agents can click on a link, open up an application where they can see if any of the "helpdesk" team are available to help them out, and if they are simply click a "connect" button for that agent and VOILA! Instant connection.

I would like it to be very easy to understand/use. Where my team can have the options of linking the agent to a page, press a button for a "canned" response, etc etc.

If anyone is able to help out, or able to point me to a place thats more suitable for my questions/inquries, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks all!

2. Angron

Angron

instead of a chat feature could you not set up a forum, and send the address out to customers? so they can log a call/complaint on the forum. You would be able to set up a e-mail notification system for when new posts are logged?
    This may be a bit complicated depending on the size of the business... hope this helps :)

3. Feds

Feds Thread Starter

Unfortunately we will need a program that will allow us to communicate with the frontline agents in real time. When they call us it will be for immediate help on their current call. Setting up a forum section is actually a great idea, but not for our immediate needs.

4. Gombot

Gombot It's My Birthday!

We're currently using a windows based Jabber server (ejabberd) with Exodus clients for instant messaging (chat).

I didn't encounter any particular problems installing the jabber server, just follow the directions carefully. The clients are easy to install, and quick to learn to use.

The real-time communication and visibility of who is "online" and available is very handy.

Overview and links to servers and clients: http://www.jabber.org/web/Main_Page

Server I use: http://www.ejabberd.im/
    Client I use: http://code.google.com/p/exodus/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!