Setting up an IPv6 Network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

micropanther

Goal: My goal is to set up a network of 2 to 20 computers, same or different operating systems, on a single Cisco 3560G L2/L3 switch, no off-network connections, no gateway, no DNS (at least not yet!). This is to be a network to test some newly developed code that must support both IPv4 and IPv6.

Current setup:
  1. 1 Cisco 3560G L2/L3 switch, 28 ports, initial convoke. with IPv4 management address of 10.3.1.1
  2. 2 PCs running WinXP with IPv6 enabled on Interface 1, IPv4 on Interface 2.
  3. 1 PC running Fedora with ifconfig eth1 inet6 up and ifconfig eth0 up (IPv4 defaults, 10.254.244.254, mask=255.0.0.0). Also has serial port connected to 3560's console via kermit.

Sadly, everything I know about IPv4 isn't helping much here.

All I want is for these 3 PCs (and eventually others) to see each other using IPv6 addressing. I know very little about IPv6 so the real question is how do I, step-by-step, set up the router from initial autoconfig to fully setup, so that I KNOW my machines are seeing each other and aren't using IPv4 to do it.

Other questions:
Do the prefixes (upper 64 bit) of all the network addresses have to match?
What does the FE80 in the most significant bytes mean? SHould I change that?
Do I need to setup a VLAN for each port and get the L3 routing to connect them?
Do I need unicast or multicast routing or something else?

Thanks,

Wesley

TerryNet

Terry
If you uninstall ipv4 you can be pretty confident that connection is not using that protocol. :)

A Format Prefix of FE80 indicates "link-local addressing," which is similar to to ipv4's APIPA (169.254.x.y).

I trust that you are using a router that supports ipv6.

Sadly, that's all I can contribute to your issues.

FE80::x will autoconfigure everything link local per what TerryNet said.

Put all of the switchports into the same vlan, which they probably are now. If not, you can do this:

interface range gi0/1 - 24
switchport
switchport access vlan 1
no shut
end

When you do that, setup V6 on your hosts. Everything will work. If you want your switch to become an L3 gatway you'll need to upgrade code, and most likely go EMI feature set.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online