1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up an Microsoft XP Home Network.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by iliketechsupport, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iliketechsupport

iliketechsupport Thread Starter

I am starting a new post on setting up an Microsoft XP Home Network.

After reviewing and trying to implement the following TCP/IP Home Networking and File Sharing Tutorial @ http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp I have created a mountain out of a mole hill?

For any novices reading this be prepared to put some time into it. This is not easy or so far it hasn't been for me. 4 hrs later I have the following scenario; I am still unable to network an MS XP Home network as well as view my Zone Alarm Security Suite.

Here is my setup:

Cable Modem
    Router (Linksystem. 2.4 Wireless router)
    Vonage
    XP Desktop
    XP Laptop (wireless)
    Zone Alarm
    McAfee

I am still not sure where I went wrong and now my Zone Alarm Security Suite is not showing up in my lower hand task bar, so in retrospect, maybe I should have shut this application down prior to implementing tutorial. Although, after looking in the control panel it indicates that it’s on and running? Than, I checked Task Manager, but no sign of ZA application running. My last attempt to get ZA was to try through start, programs, ZA. No such luck.

Now I have two problems. Ah the joy of technology but thankfully I know someone on these boards can help and in the process I can learn something new. In the menatime, I am going to see if sytem restore will help me and retry, but this time close ZA? Any and all other ideas are welcome!

Many thanks for your time!

:)

2. iliketechsupport

System restore corrected ZA and network changes I made. However I get caught up when I try to map network drive. When I enter the following from my desktop I get an an error message. \\laptop\shared "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid. Please choose another."

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

PING each computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. You can obtain the IP address of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG. This should work for any Windows version. A failure here needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs: Workstation, DHCP Client, DNS Client, Server, TCP/IP Netbios helper, Computer Browser.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

4. iliketechsupport

....be sure and have all devices going through the same router. This cost me some time....it's always the obvious. Hope it can maybe help save someone else some time. If interested, here are some other notes from my setup project.

I used the same security software suite on both computers. However, in retrospect I think the issue was the fact that I had two routers so don't t jump to conclusions - it did seem somwhat possible - not being able to connect two different computers running different security software.

Lastly, a good program that I found was Network Magic. You don't need it, but it's sets up a nice visual one stop editor for sharing, adding and managing (19.99) your network once it's up and running. Setting up a home network for me was a real pain in the A!! If you don't like troubleshooting, pay someone to set this up. I imagine the cost would be somewhere in the neighborhood 160.00, but setting it up yourself, if time permits is so rewarding!

Good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice