1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting UP Auto Logon Procedure

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by josswallace, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. josswallace

josswallace Thread Starter

Currently at home I have setup both mine and my wife's Windows 7 Desktops to to shut down and start up agin over night and run a nightly back up service. I am not that technical and it took e quite a lot of effort to get it all working. Our PC's are set up to sign on without having passwords as both Pc's have only one user and a guest.

I now want to investigate accessing my PC remotely and the first thing I have learnt is that I will have to allocate a password to be able to do this remotely.

Can anyone point me to any help on being able to set this up but still maintain the ability to auto shut down and restart.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    I am not sure what remote software you are looking at. I mainly use teamviewer which can be setup as unintended mode to be accessed anytime the computer is on or even waked via Lan.

To change your computers to login automatically
    1. Go to start menu
    2. type netplwiz
    3. Select netplwiz and open
    4. Uncheck the option for "users must enter password ...."
    5. Click Apply
    6. Enter the password and select OK

Attached Files:

3. josswallace

josswallace Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. I wasn't particularly looking at any software other than whats available in Windows.

At the moment my PC's close down overnight and reboot and I hav the normal windows screen available in the morning.
    When I look at User Accounts in control panel one of the options is to set up a password. Would Ineed to set up a password to use Teamviewer and if so how would that effect my current overnight operation.

4. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    It is your choice if you want to use a password or not with teamviewer. If you do use passwords your logins can be set to automically login. There would not be any affect on teamviewer if your computer is shut down nightly, but would only be available once your computer is back On. Let me know if any more questions.

5. kenbok51

kenbok51

When you were setting up the auto shutdown and start, there may have been a place to enter a password and you ignored it because you weren't using one. I have never done this with my Win 7 PC so I can't point you in the right direction. But, something I do when I go through a difficult task is to open notepad and keep track of what I'm doing. That way if a year later I want to do it again or make changes I have something to look back on.

On my desktop I have a folder called Win7 Tweaks where I store all my notes for fixes and tweaks I have done in the past. This is also helpful when I have to reinstall Windows and I can turn off balloon tips, add the quick launch to the task bar, disable windows disk burner and so on. I have over fifty text files in there to remind me what I did and how I did it. I also keep a copy of that file on my secondary drive and keep it updated, just in case my C drive goes kaput.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1202142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice