1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up auto restart

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by plvness, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plvness

plvness Thread Starter

OK I need to have my system restart automatically maybe at 3 in the morning the reason is that I have the nettalk its like the magic jack but it needs to be restarted every so often or I cant send or recieve calls so figured use the USB on my desktop to power it and set my system to restart maybe at 3 in the morning so can anybody tell me how to set that up thanks

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You'd have to leave the computer powered up and in Standby then set a Scheduled Task in Control Panel to wake it from Standby - perhaps somethign unrelated like a virus scan to start at 03:00. Remember to shut the machine down at least once a week, though - systems benefit from clearing out the RAM from time to time.

3. gyclone

gyclone

Pretty easy, actually, but I'd never tried this before. Use notepad, or a similar text editor and type the following:

Code:
     shutdown /r

Save the file as "restart.bat", and note the location.

Open the Task Scheduler (In XP: Start -> Programs -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Scheduled Tasks

When Window Opens, click "Add Scheduled Task" to open the wizard

Click Next

Click the Browse button and browse to the location where you saved the restart.bat file

Select the restart.bat file and just follow the prompts out of the wizard, making the selections that are appropriate for your needs.

Note: You should be very careful to schedule this task to run at a time when no other processes are running (e.g., Windows Update, Disk Defragmenter, etc.) or it may wreak havoc for you. Google "cmd shutdown" to get more options for the shutdown command, if you want them.

4. gyclone

gyclone

Saga Lout's post did remind me that you need to adjust the Advanced Settings for the Scheduled Task to allow it to wake the computer from standby. There are many Advanced Settings you may need to use. You can access the Advanced Settings during the wizard by checking the "Open Advanced Settings After I Click Finished" box on the last page. If you miss it there, you can open the Scheduled Task list and right-click the task to access the Properties.

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I think I know where you're going but my reading of the OP's situation is not that he wants to prevent or cause a shutdown - just to burn some more electricity. :D

Also, is not the switch in this instance a hyphon (-) rather than an oblique stroke (/)

6. gyclone

gyclone

I think he or she wants to restart, but I could be wrong. I know that the "/" works. The hyphen may, as well, I haven't tried that.

7. plvness

plvness Thread Starter

I simply want to restart

8. gyclone

gyclone

I'm sure the solution I posted above isn't the only one, perhaps not even the best one, but, if implemented correctly, it will definitely work.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice