1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up data files for mail merge

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by starchild, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I just got into doing mail merge (learning it)- first from doing a tutorial that comes with Publisher (I have Office 2000), where there is a box to bring up to fill in the name, address, etc. of each person that will be in the file, and can then be included in the mailing (or labels, whatever)

This got me off Publisher (temporarily) because I knew Word did this (mail merge) but I'd never looked into it, thinking it was too complicated to figure out. I find it fascinating, the way the program(s) can do this. Print out from a file onto enevelopes, labels, etc. And, I'm reading, sort out specific ones to print and not print, too.

What I'm wondering is. There is a box that can be brough up (Wizard) to fill in each person's name, address, zip, phone, etc. for the file. Then the box is set up on the mailing, with the fields in it << >> to include from the file. Is there an easier, faster way of setting up the name, etc (data) file than typing in each name, address, etc separately in the boxes that come up?

I've never learned much about Excel and even less about Access, but I see it says the names, etc can be imported from these programs. And Outlook (or Outlook Express. I only have names and email addresses in OE) I suppose this would be typing the names and info in an Excel spreadsheet, in the cells? This would be converted into a mail merge file in Word or Publisher? (I don't want to go through all that if it's not going to work (LOL)

I can't think of any way of maybe copy/pasting the names and addresses, instead of typing it all in by hand, (where each line seems to be separate info) but I know so little about it, I could be missing something. Right now I'm not going to do a real mail merge or labels, I'm collecting names and addresses that I know, to set up in a practice file.

Someone asked me this a few years ago, if I knew how to do mail merge and if there was a way using Outlook Express file (which she apparently had mailing addresses, zips, etc in too) instead of retyping everything separately, line by line.

I didn't know how to do it at the time and I don't know if she ever found someone to do it (for her small business).

Thanks,
    Carrie

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

See if this provides the lead for merging from OE into Word?

And, maybe this

And, this one has a 50 minute video on mail merge.

3. DoctorV3774

DoctorV3774

Check out code by Albert Kallal on Mail Merge from an Access database to Word. His is the best written, and the simplest to use by far!!!!!! Search for Albert Kallal Mail Merge on Google

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice