1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up DDNS?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Photopilot, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Photopilot

Photopilot Thread Starter

I am looking to setup a DDNS for my surveillance cameras to be able to record the feed to a cloud based service. I either need to get a real IP address, which my IP provider won't do or fake it.
    Will a DDNS do that for me?
    Which DDNS service is recommended?

I have looked at a few and have a trial account setup with NO-IP. I got it setup and have got my router setup properly also but am not sure on what settings to use for my port forwarding on my router.

Attached is the port forwarding area of my router configuration. I am not sure what to put in each field. Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 3.02.34 PM.png

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your ISP is giving you a real IP address, just not a static one.

DDNS will assign a name to that IP address so you only have to use that name. It needs to run in a router or on a PC to constantly update your IP so the name knows where to go.

If you want to enable DDNS then you will need to find out if you router has that option, it's not in the port forwarding section. There will be a specific DDNS area that will ask for the service name, username, and password. You would need to do port forwarding to allow access to the camera server though, the exact ports would be covered in the camera software documentation but you would need to run the software on a computer that is always on.

I posted in your other thread. You should read the documentation for the software and cloud service you are looking at, it covers how to access the cameras remotely without needing to do any of this. Maybe you should also reach out and talk to tech support at the software company via phone or chat.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice