1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up dual-monitors using two video cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kfink85, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kfink85

kfink85 Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I'm having a bit of trouble here setting up a dual monitor extended display between my desktop and laptop and I'll try to be as descriptive as possible.

Desktop:
    Dell Vostro 220s Slim Tower (click for complete specs)
    Windows 7

I installed a NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT PCI-Express card and my main monitor is hooked to that using a DVI connector. This leaves the on board VGA port completely open.

Laptop:
    HP DV6736NR (click for complete specs)
    Windows 7
    There is an open VGA port on this laptop.

--

On my desktop, the only display adapter listed in Device Manager is my NVIDIA card. When I plug the VGA in to each of the two computers, it is not detecting the other in my Screen Resolution opens. I think this has something to do with my on board video card not being active but I could be wrong. I hit CTRL+P and tried to scan for a detection that way and still nothing. I shut down my desktop (leaving the cord in) and my main monitor with the DVI connection just stayed black. I unplugged the VGA connection, booted it up again, and everything worked as normal. I believe I tried setting the laptop to projector only (hitting CTRL+P) to see if the desktop would boot to just the laptop screen using the VGA connection but that wouldn't work either. It just stayed black.

I'm all out of ideas. Can someone please help me?

2. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

I'm confused. Are you attempting to extend the desktop to the laptop? Or the laptop to the desktop monitor?

3. kfink85

kfink85 Thread Starter

Desktop to the laptop. I want the desktop to be the primary computer and monitor. However, my desktop has two different video cards.

4. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

The port on your laptop is output only. You can only hook up the desktop monitor to the laptop and use it as an extended desktop.

To add an additional monitor to your desktop, you'd have to have a second monitor.

The ports on the video card in the desktop, and the one on your laptop are meant as output only. Therefore the device on the other end of that cable should be receiving an input signal - a monitor :)

5. kfink85

kfink85 Thread Starter

Thanks.

6. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

No problem. Anytime!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/909152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice