1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

setting up dual monitors without main monitor

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gib88, May 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gib88

gib88 Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm trying to help a colleague setup dual monitors on her laptop. She wants to stop using the laptop monitor and let her desktop project onto a separate monitor, and in addition have a second monitor for the next screen.

Her laptop is plugged into a docking station with several video ports. Both external monitors are plugged in.

When I go into her display settings, I find that both external monitors are detected but only one seems to be enabled for projecting onto:

[​IMG]

I need to know how to disable her main monitor (the one on the laptop) and enable both external monitors, one for projecting her desktop onto and the other for projecting a second screen.

Here's her computer details:

[​IMG]

2. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

With this config both external monitors aren't extended?

3. gib88

gib88 Thread Starter

No, monitor #3 is disabled (but recognized).

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This question will show my lack of knowledge in the area. :(

Can any laptop use more than one external monitor, or does the laptop in question have a special graphics card that supports multiple external monitors?

5. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

My question is are monitor #1 and monitor #2 working in dual or extended mode? Why does it matter if monitor #3 is enabled or disabled?

To answer @TerryNet's question, most modern laptops can easily run dual external displays. No special hardware required.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    While most modern laptops can run 2 monitors, not all can run three which is what is happening here. Or the third monitor needs to be connected with a Active DisplayPort adapter to run all three.

To the O/P. You need to disable(Disconnect) the laptop LCD under the 'Screen Resolution" and then enable the second external monitor, then you should be able to use just the externals. Unless you need a DisplayPort adapter for that second monitor.

What laptop, dock, CPU, and GPU does this laptop have?

7. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Really? I read it as 2 externals and the laptop display.

I've used this setup on several laptops.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yup, so that's three displays.

9. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

3 monitors is not the same thing as 3 displays.

This is a normal config. A laptop with 2 externals.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well I'm not going to argue with you so I'll just wait for the OP to provide more info.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1189810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice