Setting up email on a small network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zmoustache

Howdy all...Happy New Year !!!

I work part time for a small non profit that specializes in helping high risk youth & their families.
They have a small network setup using Novell Netware with Win 98.
They have no email capabilities.
What would I need to do to set up email for them?
Anyone know of any good web sites that would help me?

Any and all help is appreciated

Thanks Much

Z

For internal email or email to the world outside of your network?

zmoustache

It would be for external.
Currently the Ex. Directors email comes to another persons aol account & is then forwarded to her. I want to be able to set up accounts for the all staff .

Thanks

Do they have Internet connection ?
Can they surf the web ?

If so, my own advise to you is get them all working with Web Mails (Yahoo, Excite, mail.com and many many others). Setting up an email seems less promissing for the case of such group.

If no internet connection - your questions should be "how do I connect them to the Internet, how do I share the internet connection and only than worry about emails...
;)

Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy New Year to all you fine pepole out there...

zmoustache

Yes they do, but what I have in mind is as follows

[email protected].

This way they could list the address on stationary, business cards and when they make presentation at schools and other organizations.
It would seem more professional do me.

They do have a web site, shouldn't the hosting company provide eamil?

Thanks for your input

Your host (and literally all web hosts) should offer email. You will probably need to contact your host to have the accounts setup and activated.

I have run websites through several web hosts and some of them allow you to setup the emails yourself through such "programs" like Plesk or other such means. But there are also those few hosts which require direct communication (phone call, email, etc) to have an email account setup.

If your host does not support/offer email, then you may wish to consider a new web host, as most/all web hosts should offer email accounts (some do limit to like 10 email accounts, etc; if this is the case and you need more, they will usually charge you for additional ones). Obviously, anyone who has a website (domain) is going to want to have some sort of email through their website, so I have never run into any web hosts which do not offer email accounts.

However, I have never done hosting with "free" or "inexpensive" hosting, so if you have hosted through such a place, you may not get the email accounts with your hosting. If this is the case, I believe http://everyone.net offers a service which can help you, but I do believe it does (it may not) cost money to setup emails for your website.

I would personally offer you free email accounts for your site through my hosting, but I personally know of no way to set that up if the website itself is hosted at the other place.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online