1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

setting up first exchange server

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by blakcshadow, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blakcshadow

blakcshadow Thread Starter

First, sorry if I do not post enough information; I have almost no knowledge about this.

My boss has a hosted exchange from GoDaddy (who hosts his website). The problem is the hosted exchange is slowing down the network to a crawl.

He wants me to set up a server for backups (which I've done before), a standard data storage server, and an exchange server.

My specs so far:

1TB for storage
    500GB for backups (4 computers)
    1.5GB RAM
    2.0GHz processor
    external 500GB (attached via USB) for backup of the server software

Q1: What is a good tutorial to set up an exchange server for four email accounts?

Q2: Will the exchange server keep the Calendars, Contacts, and emails current on a desktop, laptop, and iPhone?

Q3: How can I run them all on one physical server?

2. wlraider70

wlraider70

I don't have answer for your question, but have you looked into google apps?
    they host for like $50 a year, all you have to do is prove you own the domain.

3. avisitor

avisitor

First, you should note that recent versions of Exchange are very demanding in terms of resources. Microsoft recommends each MB server have 4GB of RAM. If you want to combine roles, they recommend 10GB of RAM.

How is the hosted exchange affecting performance?

4. blakcshadow

The hosted exchange causes lag on the network, slowing it down to a crawl. The password needs to be re-entered every time Outlook start, etc

5. Guldan

Guldan

1.5GB Ram? If email is important to your company I would upgrade this, also a 2.0ghz processor isn't impressive.

The exchange server holds all information regarding someones email account including contacts, calenders etc,. So if they moved computers or wanted to grab it online it would just pull everything from the server.

If I formatted my computer I could just reinstall outlook and pull my entire account from the server and be back in action.

I would never run an exchange server concurrently with anything personally, that being said I am not an expert, more of a junior admin with some good experience with servers.

6. avisitor

avisitor

That's not a very good answer. Saying that hosted exchange causes lag on the network doesn't tell us anything. What is slow? Just exchange? Accessing resources on the local network? Internet browsing, etc?

Exchange is by far the most resource intensive of all Microsoft Server Technologies. If you want everything on one server, the recommended minimum for support is a Quad Core with 10GB RAM. If you feel like buying that, go ahead. Frankly, if you have the resources to buy that, you should probably hire a certified Exchange Administrator to set it up. Then you also have the cost of licensing Windows Server 2008 and Exchange itself. It's not cheap.

I think the better solution is to troubleshoot what's wrong with your current setup. How fast is your internet connection? T1, Business grade DSL or Cable, something else? Static IPs?

You can try this to stop having to reauthenticate every time: http://www.petri.co.il/save-your-exchange-password-in-microsoft-outlook-2003-or-2007.htm

7. blakcshadow

its a business grade DSL line (Connection Speed: Incoming: 1536 kbps; Outgoing: 384 kbps). When we have one computer update via the exchange server, the internet browsing on the network is affected. LAN resources are slower than usual, but not unbearably.

avisitor, the problem is, GoDaddy's Hosted Exchange forces you to connect through a proxy that doesn't support saving passwords; forcing us to use Basic instead of NLTM Authentication.

8. aasimenator

aasimenator

Q1: What is a good tutorial to set up an exchange server for four email accounts?

Search for one, there are a lot of them online, read all you can before you start the setup

Q2: Will the exchange server keep the Calendars, Contacts, and emails current on a desktop, laptop, and iPhone?

Yes

Q3: How can I run them all on one physical server?

The Computer configuration is not enough for Exchange.. you need at least a quad-core 2.0 GHz + 4GB RAM

I suggest you instead setup a Pop3 & Smtp Server which are integrated with Windows since 2003, which will fetch emails from the Godaddy Server & forward them to your mailboxes. You can use Outlook/ any free clients like Thunderbird

9. blakcshadow

I have decided to do a different approach, thanks guys!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice