1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up FTP in windows XP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rpndt1, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rpndt1

rpndt1 Thread Starter

What are your opinions on setting up an FTP in Windows XP? It seems pretty straight forward to do, but what are the benefits worth the risks. Are there any (relatively simple) ways to minimize the security threats. I am have never done this before and I want to set this up as a project/convenience. So. any special recommendation for FTP software?

Thanks.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

There are alot of good software items available. Personally I use Serv-U. Some of the main things to consider are the following.

Port 21 is the standard FTP port. Everyone knows this so changing that as the standard connection point is a good thing. On the downside some FTP clients have problems iconnecting if its not on 21 so you have to be careful. Make sure whichever connection port you enable is open on your firewall or forwarded on your router.

Remember that port is just to "establish a connection" then what you want to do is open a series of ports. 1 port per user you want to have on your FTP so if you want 30 people open 30 ports in your firewall or router and forward it to your PC running the FTP. (Any ports will do as long as they don't interfere with another program I.E. don't pick anything with the major programs like port 80, 113, and so fourth). Then within the FTP software you enable those ports.

In all setting up a basic FTP can take a matter of a few minutes (mine took me 30 mins to install the software, forward the ports, setup 10 accounts) but if you want you can get really creative with your FTP and put in directory prompts where it will pop up messages on the clients when they change dirs and whatnot.

One main thing to remember is you need to know your WAN IP to get in. I however use Dyndns.org and I install a small program on my PC it updates the service and I can get in no matter if the IP changes.

Risks - opened ports (though if you use non standard its not a big risk at all)
    Benifits - Easy file downloads and uploads from remote locations

Something nice about Serv-U is you can install a Manager portion of the software on any pc anywhere and as long as you know all the connection and admin info you can make any FTP changes you want.

3. rpndt1

rpndt1 Thread Starter

Thanks StumpedTechy,

I just stumbled upon this and I can think of great possibilities for this (at least for accessing my files from school, etc). The port/ip thing might get a bit hairy for me, as I have never had luck with portforwarding and ip configuration in the past. But, I can always fall back to TSG or you, since you seem to know what you are doing.

I downloaded Serv U corporate (which turns into personal after 30 days)...it has enough features for now...I might buy the full edition if necessary. I will set it up as soon as I get a chance.

4. rpndt1

rpndt1 Thread Starter

How do I know what the "big ports" are or is this just a common knowledge kind of thing?

...and why one port per user? Can't they all access through one? What are the advantages to setting it up that way?

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I would say the easiest way is to look at what they have and modify it slightly I think it starts off at 7000 and can go up but what I usually do is look at the most commonly used ports and just pick something outside that field. The main thing to remember is if you forward the ports and something else breaks connectivity wise I.E. and internet game (those tend to force the most amount of opened ports to play) to change it to another set of ports.

Think of it this way each connected user has to have 1 dedicated port for information to go in and out of. You have your man connection port then it kind of "shuffles" the connected user over to one of the other ports. If you have 10 people you technically need 11 ports opn the connecting port 21 (or whatever you change it to) and then 1 port it shuffles the connection to.

While I am not being technical about how this works its an easy way to visualize.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice