Setting up home network - help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

golddust

Getting ready to network (wireless) two desktops for DSL. We have the modem (haven't signed up with BellSouth yet, still using our old dialup provider)and still have to get the Linksys router and wireless reception gadgets for the two computers (pardon my lack of technical terminology). Both computers already have Ethernet cards. One thing I'm thinking might be a problem. Daughter has two desktop towers linked with crossover cable. Where will she plug in the reception card for DSL since the crossover cable is plugged into her network card. Also, will there be a problem setting up the LAN with the wireless router? Will she just have two networks available and me one (name ours LAN1 or something like that).

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd run a single wire to the daughter's location, then split it with a cheap Ethernet switch. A wireless router also has wired capability, you'll all be on a single network, and if desired, you can all share files and/or printers.

it probly be easyer to just get a router then run a wire to your pc and hers. I have bellsouth dsl here and i have it into my usr 8054 rotuer then out to my pc then wirelessly connected to my other 2 pcs. Works great.

golddust

Bal3Wolf said:
it probly be easyer to just get a router then run a wire to your pc and hers. I have bellsouth dsl here and i have it into my usr 8054 rotuer then out to my pc then wirelessly connected to my other 2 pcs. Works great.
Thanks. Daughter says she'll just unplug the crossover cable and plug in the wireless receiver. Said she doesn't access the old pc that much anymore since she's already transferred what she used most to her newer pc. If it's ok with her I'm ok with it. Running a wired connection across the house wouldn't be that easy.

ah good deal but i use wireless here so no wires across house. If your pc aint to far from were hers would be you could do a wireless setup easy without alot of singal lose.

golddust

Bal3Wolf said:
ah good deal but i use wireless here so no wires across house. If your pc aint to far from were hers would be you could do a wireless setup easy without alot of singal lose.
She's about 45 feet from my computer (same floor); and the modem and router will be right next to my computer. Fortunately, our house has no metal plumbing pipes (it's all that crappy flexible piping ), and is all wood frame. The only metal I can think of would be her desk, but the pc tower sits on top of it.

wireless would work good for you then. save the mess of wires thru the house.

golddust

Bal3Wolf said:
Just thought of a question. Since you have BellSouth DSL you can help me. We haven't decided which package we are going to go with yet, and were wondering what additional charges, if any, will pop up each month on the bill over and above the dsl rate - stuff like tax, surcharges, etc. (Business office is closed so we couldn't call to find out.)

i got dsl extreme here its aroung 45 a month or so. Taxes are differt depending on states taxes school taxes local taxes so on. I thk the packages per town cost differt to maybe yorurs might be higher or lower.

golddust

Bal3Wolf said:
i got dsl extreme here its aroung 45 a month or so. Taxes are differt depending on states taxes school taxes local taxes so on. I thk the packages per town cost differt to maybe yorurs might be higher or lower.
That's about what it is here in Hernando County, Florida. I was just trying to get a feel for how much in taxes I can expect. I've been trying to get through to their office this a.m. but they must be swamped after the 3 day holiday. I keep getting cut off.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online