1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

setting up home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by leoneire, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leoneire

leoneire Thread Starter

Hi ok this might sound like a problem that everyone should know how to do it!

BUT IM HAVING SERIOUS TROUBLE

I have a pc running xp pro

I have just bought a new laptop running vista home edition

Im trying to network them both together but just can't! When i plug an RJ45 cable between the both of them the computer recognises it! But i can't find either computer anywhere!

Any help would be great thanks

Leon

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you mean that literally we probably cannot help you. If you mean the two PCs are having difficulty communicating the most likely cause is one or more firewalls (security suites).

4. leoneire

leoneire Thread Starter

Hey sorry i took so long to get back to you! Em my pc and my laptop both have wireless adapters so i was just going to get the internet that way! Both the laptop and the pc can access the internet! But i want to transfer files between both computers using a cable rather then spending hours using cds! I connected a rj45 cable between the 2 computers! And in My Connections it recognises that the 2 computers are connected because theres like a timer that starts when i plug in the cable to both computers.

But i dont know how to actually transfer the files??

Any help would be great!

thanks Leon

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    While it's covered in the Tutorial I wanted to make clear that if both PCs are accessing the internet through the same router then they are on the same network. They can be connected via wireless, ethernet, or one wireless and the other ethernet. While file copies via wireless will be slower than ethernet it is still faster and more convenient than via sneaker net. Adding the cable between them will also work.

Be sure you don't have a 3rd party firewall on either machine blocking your access.

Since one PC has Vista you may also want to take a look at this: http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/730362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice