1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SVTCobraLTD, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SVTCobraLTD

SVTCobraLTD Thread Starter

I have two computers at home. One is a Desktop running WindowsXP and the other is a Laptop running Vista. I want to be able to connect to one from the other. The Desktop is hard wired to the router while the Laptop is running wireless. I have done it a few times using the Network feature on the computer but for some reason it has stopped finding the other computer and now I am unable to connect at all. Any help or is it not really possible due to vista/xp operating systems? Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If they both have internet access through the same router they are on the same LAN. How do you want to "connect" (Remote Desktop, file sharing, Remote Assistance, ...)?

3. SVTCobraLTD

They both connect to the internet via the same router.

All I mainly want to do is be able to access files from my desktop computer while on my laptop and vice versa. A bonus feature would be being able to run programs from one on the other but not sure if that is possible due to the two different operating systems.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    File sharing on Vista is a bit different (and probably easier) compared to XP.

Go into the network and Sharing Center from the Control Panel or from the Network icon in the Notification Area. Your network must be designated 'Private.' In the Sharing and Discovery section you can configure File sharing, Public folder sharing (similar to Shared Documents in previous Windows), Printer sharing and Password protected sharing.

Vista requires that a user account be password protected before it will permit file sharing.

You must uninstall or properly configure any non-windows firewall (security suite).

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC other than XP or 2k Pro or Vista.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2 or SP3) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders (or drives) or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (up to 15 minutes) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

6. SVTCobraLTD

Its all setup on the Desktop (XP) but nothing is showing up on the Laptop (Vista) nor can I follow your steps on the Laptop.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/784581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice