1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up home video/security, 1 question

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by mickeyfinn, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mickeyfinn

mickeyfinn Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm setting up a home security video system.

I found an inexpensive color monitor and I think it was used for video production as opposed to being a security monitor. It's a Panasonic CT-1384Y.

It has 3 inputs which is precisely what I need. Will it be OK to use this as an "always on" security monitor?

Thanks,

Mike

2. n2gun

n2gun

should work just fine, as long as you have the right connections.

3. Soundy

Soundy

I work in video security, I've installed and later removed literally dozens of CT-1384Ys :)

The only problem with leaving any CRT monitor on for a long time in a surveillance application is that it will suffer from "burn-in", where a static image can cause the phosphors to fade and become dim over time.

Plasma TVs can suffer the same problem, as seen in this example:
    [​IMG]

That said, the CT-1384Ys seem to be particularly robust compared to a lot of newer monitors I put in to replace them - many of them have been in service for at least a half-dozen years, and the newer Nationals and Pelcos I replace them with get nasty burn-in withing two years.

What's your "inexpensive price"? These things typically retailed in the $500-$600 range.

I'd recommend turning any CRT off when you're not watching it, or put it on a timer that will shut it off when it's not needed.

4. K7M

K7M

I purchased a 4 input PCI video card and put into an older computer with a LCD monitor. It came with software and you can set it to record only when there is movement in front of the camera. It records each cam feed into a separate file for later viewing and you can capture and print individual frames. here is the link to where I bought it. (hope the link works)
    http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=CRD10823
    I forgot to mention that you can also monitor it from other locations on your network and across the internet with another piece of software.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice