Setting up Linksys router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hashim

I am setting up my Linksys Router. When setting it up, it asks for DHCP, PPPoe, etc. I don't want to have to login through my DSL provider.

What I want is the same ability I have now, to just click the IE icon on my desktop and I am off to the great Internet. But when I try to set up my Linksys Router using PPPoe, it queries me for my login ID and password through my DSL provider.

Using: Dell laptop, Windows XP, SBC/Yahoo DSL.

TerryNet

Terry
"I am setting up my Linksys Router. When setting it up, it asks for DHCP, PPPoe, etc. I don't want to have to login through my DSL provider. "

That's not really your choice. Your ISP determines whether they provide dynamic IP configuration or require PPPoE or a login.

If SBC/Yahoo requires PPPoE and login and password, just configure the router that way and it will handle things just as automatically as your computer now does.

I know that SBC DSL in Chicago uses Dynamic IP configuration (DHCP), but maybe they differ whereever you are.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You put the login name/password in the router WAN configuration, after that it's automatic. If your account requires a name/password, you don't have an option.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts