Setting up media server

schubertian

I would like to run a media server, to stream my own videos to a smart TV, Alexa smart speaker and Astell & Kern Digital audio player. I don’t know what I need to purchase to get started and would like to get advice for this.
My preferences for the media server are:
  • Would like to stream using Plex for videos and MQS for music
  • Would like at least 3 TB of storage for the server
  • Budget for the hardware: preferably under $200, but willing to go higher if absolutely necessary
Please advise what kind of hardware and software I would need to set up.

Tanis

Shane
Hi,

You could be a really low cost, old PC to do it and if needed buy an additional hard drive. Or you could run Plex on an existing PC and just but a simple network storage device to host the media itself.

Using an existing PC or laptop would be the cheapest solution as far as the need to buy new kit.

I run Plex on a NAS (QNAP TS-251D) but that would not be in your budget, I previously ran it on a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra (cheaper NAS, but still outside your budget).

There are a lot of considerations:

- Are you streaming to local devices only or external to your home network?
- What devices are you streaming too and what format the source files? If the receiving device does not support the specific file formats you may need to look at devices suitable for Transcoding on the fly, an Intel based PC should be OK for that but if you are looking at NAS drives I would also recommend Intel based CPUs, but that will bump the price up.

Some really useful info on these vids:
Plex on a NAS - Before You Buy - YouTube

5 Things to consider BEFORE you build a Plex Server! - YouTube

Starting a Plex Media Server - Everything you need to know - YouTube

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online