1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

setting up Microsoft base station

Discussion in 'Networking' started by artherlee555, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. artherlee555

artherlee555 Thread Starter

I use cable internet. I have two computers. I set up a home network using Microsoft Base Station so that both computers can access internet at the same time.

During the process of setting up Microsoft Base Station, the software asks me if I would like to share all files on the network. I don't know if this means just share files with my other computer or with all the computers on cable network?

If I choose Yes to share all files, is it safe? Will my zone alarm still be able to keep hackers out?

Thanks,

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Really, unless you trust everyone who has access to the computers, you only want to set up a folder to share, not all of your files.

3. artherlee555

Good, I did say no to share all my files. At this time, I didn't even set up a folder to share. But I went to set up printer sharing on my base computer (first computer).

The strange thing is my second computer can see the first computer, but it cannot see the printer on the first computer. What did I do wrong? Or haven't I done?

Thank,

4. ~Candy~

You have to share that particular printer on the first computer. Right click on it, select sharing, then give it a share as name.

5. artherlee555

I did exactly that. But the second computer still cannot see that printer. I even rebooted my computer but it didn't help.

6. ~Candy~

Reboot the other computer too.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/153721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice