Setting up multiple monitors using DVI to DVI+VGA Splitter

anthonyj7638

Hello,

I have a HP Desktop computer at my job and found a Dell Monitor (Model E1910H) in the back room and felt that having a dual monitor set up would be very convenient. This monitor is older than my current HP monitor so it only has a VGA port on the back. I currently run my HP monitor through the DVI connection which is connected to my AMD Radeon HD 6450 (Also fairly old).

Initially I though that I could just run a VGA cord from the Dell monitor to the tower but that didn't work out. I thought maybe the old VGA cord wasn't working so I purchased a new one. That didn't work either. So I decided that maybe it's the VGA port on the actual computer that isn't working. I purchased a DVI to DVI + VGA splitter to see if I could run both monitors through the DVI port.

With that new set up I am able to independently use each monitor, but I am unable to extend or duplicate both at the same time. I was thinking that maybe that is due to the fact that I am running the data though only one port but I have done that in the past with regular DVI to DVI + DVI splitters.

I want to know either how to get that splitter connection to work with extended monitors. Or I need to figure out how to activate the VGA port on my computer so I can use the DVI port for one and the VGA for the other. I've been trying almost every combination of connections and just haven't been able to get it to work.

Let me know if you need anymore information to understand a solution.

I really appreciate any help you can give me!

Oddba11

Jim
The display issue with the new cable is because there is only a single signal being sent out the DVI port. At best, it will duplicate the signal to both monitors. You can't extend a desktop using a single video output. You need a video output for each monitor.

Is the VGA port on the mother board or on the Radeon 6450? If it's on the motherboard, it is likely disabled. most motherboards disable onboard ports when a video card is installed.

You could simply use a USB adapter. I've used a couple of StarTech models without any problems. (ex: https://www.amazon.com/External-Vid...4&sprefix=startech+usb+video+,aps,188&sr=8-13 ). There are numerous models with various output types.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online