1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up Multiple Users with same settings?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sasquatch, Feb 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Thread Starter

I'm running XP with two users. I'd like to have most of the programs, but not all of the folders available, both on this PC, the laptop, and on my home network. ( I realize that programs can only run on the PC they are loaded on ).

For example, when my wife signs on using her User name, I'd like for her to get Outlook with all of the files and folders, same as my settings. Right now, she gets Outlook, but not the same folder setup.

I'd also like to share all of my folders on the network, but only on my User name, not hers, and vice versa.

Is this possible, or is it too complicated for XP?

Thanks.

2. steve65

steve65

I may be a little dense, but I'm having difficulty discerning what you are trying to do.

Can you define what / what type of folders you want Outlook to share? Is this Outlook? or Outlook Express?

Are the systems XP Home or XP Pro? You have many more options to assign permissions with XP Pro.

Steve

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Thread Starter

XP Home, Outlook 2002.

1. I know how to share "My Docs/Personal" folders on the network. Do the same sharing rules also apply among different users on the same machine? I apologize for not taking the time to do some testing...been running 20 different directions lately.

2. In Outlook, I'd like my wife to be able to see the same Personal Folders that I have set up on my account on the laptop when she signs in on her User account. (They are much more simplified than I have on my desktop). Is it even possible to share the same folder setup between users on a program like that (vs. the My Docs folders)?

4. steve65

steve65

With XP Home if you share it, It is shared with everyone in your network. I don't believe there is any way to setup permission per user.

Regarding Outlook 2002, are running an exchange server. If so, yes you just need to set permissions on you personal folder and then she need to click "File" "Open" "Other user's folder"(or something like that, I don't have outlook here at home)

Without an exchange server - I'm not sure that you can do it. Maybe someone else knows.

Steve

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Thread Starter

I'm not running an Exchange Server.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/203109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice