1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up NEC 2510 (slave) drive - PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iKwak, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iKwak

iKwak Thread Starter

Hi. Just added the NEC 2510 dvdrw to my pc as a slave drive.
    I changed the little plug on the back of the drive from primary to slave. And my cd-rewriter is the primary drive.

Turned on the pc and the cd-rewriter (primary) is not showing. Only the dvd-rewriter is showing.

In My Computer - the dvd-rom drive is reading as
    NEB DVD^RV ND 2410 :confused:

What could be the problem?

2. iKwak

iKwak Thread Starter

BTW, this was an OEM drive so nothing came along with the drive.
    Running Windows XP Pro.

3. winbob

winbob

Just for Jollies, I would swap the 2 so that the DVD unit is the Primary and the CD is the Slave. Also at boot up watch for the recognition of each drive.

4. iKwak

iKwak Thread Starter

This is frustrating.
    After the setup, the windows loading time had increased by 7x!! It takes about 1 whole minute for the loading. This happened after inserting the dvdrw.

1) I tried setting both the dvdrw and cdrw to "Cable Select." No luck. Still the windows take soooo long to load and the drive does not show up at all.

2) I have switched - dvdrw to primary and cdrw to slave. Still does not work.

3) I have switched back - cdrw to primary and dvdrw to slave. Only the dvdrw shows up but as NEB DVD 2410a (rather than 2510).

4) The dvdrw was very HOT when I was removing from the case.

What else would you recommend to do? I feel like contacting Newegg and getting the drive RMA. What do you think?

5. winbob

winbob

The HOT DVD drive should be a real concern! Especially if there was nothing running in it. Sounds defective. The ID showing up as a "NEB..." is very suspicious to me...like maybe the circuit board (in the Drive) is screwed up. If you can RMA the drive do so.

Just curious...why are you using Cable Select. I never have myself.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice