1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up network help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by heemid, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heemid

heemid Thread Starter

I need some help setting up my home network, no matter what I do it seems I can't get it to work the way I want it. My main computer is running Win XP Pro and has two network cards (on board and pci), I have a router/switch/AP (Linksys wrt54g), my other computer is tunning XP Home, I also have a vonage telephone adapter. So this is what I have tried, the internet comes into the main computer via the onboard nic the goes out the pci to the internet uplink on the wrt54g, the phone adapter and other computer are hooked into ports 1 and 2. I go throught the XP wizard, but in my network places I only see the computer I am on, the phone adapter works great. Basically all I want to do is share internet an file over my network any better ways of setting this up? Thanks for the help

2. coulterp

coulterp

What is the connection to the internet - ordinary dial-up or DSL/cable? The vontage phone adaptor you refer to, what is that? A 56K dial-up modem or a DSL/cable modem?

The way you are using the 2 NICs you would need to use the Windows XP built-in Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) software to share the connection (look up ICS on the XP Help pages for details); EXCEPT that you are also using a router and ICS and routers don't mix! It is a case of one or the other not both.

If the vontage phone adaptor is a DSL/cable adaptor then it should be connecting to the router and not to a NIC on the XP PC. In this case it would only be necessary to use a single NIC (to connect the PC to the linksys).

So a little more information about makes/models of modem as well are the router would help.

3. heemid

heemid Thread Starter

thanks for the reply, the modem is a Motorolla surfboard SB4101, the phone adapter is ethernet, I thought I could use wrt54g as a switch too, do I have to enable something in the config menu? I don't see anything, thanks

4. heemid

heemid Thread Starter

lets say I get rid of the second nic, is this how I would set stuff up
    1-plug modem into internet port on linksys wrt54g router
    2-plug both computers and into phone adapter into ports 1-4 on router
    what do I choose on network setup for my two computers?
    a-this computer connects directly to the internet. other computers connect through this computer
    b-this compter connects to the internet through another computer on my network or through a residual gateway (is a router a residual gateway)
    c-This computer connects directly throug a network hub. Other computers on the network also connect directly through to the internet or through a hub.

Thanks for the help guys.

5. coulterp

coulterp

I am unsure what the phone adaptor you refer to is for and why it would be needed. I would expect to be plugging the cable modem to the internet (WAN) port on the router with the PCs plugging to the LAN ports. I can't see a need for the vontage phone adaptor (but this could be unfamiliarity with some cable setups and I'm sure someone could correct me if appropriate).

On network setup I would select option b.

You'd be using the wrt54g as a router with in-built 4-port switch.
    If you want to be using the wrt54g simply as a switch then all you do is not plug anything to the internet (WAN) port, i.e only use the LAN ports, and disable DHCP server in the router. But I can't see why you'd be wanting to do that here.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice