1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up network printers on PC's remotely

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PB1856, Nov 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PB1856

PB1856 Thread Starter

Good afternoon everyone,

Situation:
    Have 60 Win2k pc's in our department - these include 2 Student PC Labs and then faculty PC's. Everyone will be printing to different printers. I am going to set up a print server and want to be able to configure all PC's remotely with the correct network printers.

This way I can set up the 2 labs to print to the network printers located in the respective labs and faculty will print to a printer in our main office. I also do not want to include anything in the logon scripts, as we do not use them here. Ideally I want each PC set up with the correct network printer, no matter who logs on, as the lab PC's have numerous different students logging on to them daily.

I came across the following command line utility:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry

With the proper switches, I have been able to set up a network printer while logged onto that PC, but can not figure out a way to run this command and have it map the network printer on a remote PC.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Pete

2. gkimble

gkimble Account Disabled

If you have a print server, go into "add printers" then click on the print server, then click on the printer you want to install for that particular machine.

3. PB1856

PB1856 Thread Starter

By doing just that, each user who logs onto the PC will have to install the networked printer. When you have students logging onto 3o+ different PC's, that is not a feasible option.

4. gkimble

gkimble Account Disabled

The local printer (if there is one at that desk) is already set up by default regardless of the person's logon account profile. (everyone is able to print to it) If they choose to print to a different printer or if for some reason 2 months later they want a 20 inch by 20 inch color laser printout and that's all the way down the hall in someone elses office, all they have to do double click the PRINT SERVER ICON in the list of printers and then from there, a list of ALL AVAILALBLE network printers in the whole building will be at your fingertips. Just double click the printer that you want to install in seconds. By the way how many is 3o+ printers ? you mean THIRTY ? :p

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/102921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice