1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting Up Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AK57, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AK57

AK57 Thread Starter

I have a desktop and laptop, both running XP-Home (SP2), that share a DSL connection via a wireless router. Now I'd like to set up a standard home network so they can share files as well. I've used the Windows Network Wizard on both computers, taking care to give them the same workgroup name, then sharing a directory on the desktop, then restarting. When I go to My Network Places on the laptop, it denies me access to the desktop. And the desktop can't see the laptop at all. What am I doing wrong?

-- AK

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

10. Apply the registry edit to fix the browsing delay from XP to Win9x computers
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#browsing_delay.

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting works fine so there is no need to change that either.

3. ThoughT

ThoughT

I've found that with SP2 installed, you can't share private files, which includes the desktop... try sharing the default share: Shared Documents or a folder elsewhere instead.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, I have SP2 on all my XP machines, and sharing any/all files is not an issue. I don't know where the idea that you can't share with SP2 comes from...

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since you have XP Home, other than the desktop for example, can you create and share something like a C:\data directory, and then access that directory from the other computers.

If that works then just keep what you want to access over the network someplace other than the desktop or in a particular user's home directory.

6. AK57

AK57 Thread Starter

Success! The problem turned out to be the firewall on my laptop. Many thanks for your help.

-- AK

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That #6 does it all the time ;-)

Glad you got it working.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice