1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up programs as Administrator for other people to use

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by marie500, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

I installed and set up all of our programs from my Administrator screen when we got the new computer. Entered program registration numbers, set up things the way we like them, etc. But when other people first try using the programs on their screens, (whether opening them from their Start menus or opening them from C:\Program Files), they are prompted as if it's never been set up - we have to re-enter all the registration info and completely re-setup all the preferences. For each user, for every program, over & over again. On the Administrator screen, I tried copying already-registered applications, with preferences, into folders for All Users, and into folders for individual users, to their Desktop folders, to their Start Menu folders - but nothing works. When they open on other screens, it's like they're brand-new, until we tediously re-register everything. Then they can use them. This doesn't seem right to me. Why doesn't a shortcut to a program open exactly the way it's set up already?

Also, I don't understand how to make changes in other people's preferences, etc. It doesn't let them do it from their own screen, says I have to log on using an Adminsitrator account, but then, I'm back at my own screen - not theirs.

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

The experience your describing is normal.. It depends on how the installer for the program is made to install the registry settings for the program. In the past when I've found programs that do what your describing, I've exported the registry entries for the program to a file so each user could import the registry settings into thier account.. You can use regshot to find what registry entries the program installs and make exported reg files for the users to save them the trouble of registering later..

http://ww.webattack.com/get/regshot.shtml

3. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

Thanks, I appreciate the info and the link. I'll try the program since we still have a few other applications to work on. Advice on changing their preferences when told to Log On As Administrator to do it?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice