1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting Up Raid 0 with Back Up Drive on a Motherboard with 2 Sata Connectors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MarkLeyland, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MarkLeyland

MarkLeyland Thread Starter

I recently ordered two 1T hard drives, a Seagate 7200.12 and a WD Caviar black.

I have an Asus P5VD2-MX motherboard which only has two Sata 1.5 connectors and 1 Jmicron connector.

I orginally canceled the order for the Seagate as I read some bad reviews which put me off, but the store sent it anyway so i'm now thinking of keeping it, which leaves me with 3 Hard Drives (including my original maxtor 200gb).

My question is considering I have two Sata 1.5 connectors and 1 Jmicron connector can I use all three hard drives?

What I want to do is set up raid 0 on the Seagate and WD Drives, and use the maxtor for backing up files (not part of the Raid).

Can I use the Jmicron connector as a normal Sata connector to attach my backup drive?

The only other option I have is to use the Jmicron connector for 1 drive, and the eSata connector for an external drive set up in Raid 0 which would allow the drives to run at the optimum 300gbs, but I don't want an external drive really.

Please help as I am new to all this but really want to get the best use out of my two new drives without having to buy a new motherboard. What's the best solution?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Best solution? Dump the raid idea. Use either of the 1tb drives for the system drive and the other for image backups, etc.

Raid is not for the home user, it is for servers that need hardware redundancy.

If you really really want raid, then buy a quality raid controller like a promise or highpoint controller. Onboard raid is next to useless. Just think about if for a minute or two. A quality raid card costs as much or more than a high end motherboard. What kind of performance do you think you will get with onboard raid???

3. MarkLeyland

I had read that to get the best speed out of the hard drives raid 0 was the way forward. Seems a waist to have these great hard drives and not get their full performance. As said I am new to this and since realised that my board supports 1.5 sata controllers so I was thinking about buying one of these http://www.starmount.co.uk/productversion/641.html

On the other hand your solution does make a lot of sense and I have considered it, but will I loose out on performance?

Many thanks!

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would be very suspect of any product without a name. I cannot find any brand name on that link.

If you want a controller card, the ones to buy are either promise or highpoint. With something like what you linked to, you are asking for problems.

5. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

MarkLeyland, there's a huge gap between computer benchmarks, and performance increases that a user can actually notice. RAID 0 isn't going to make a perceptible difference in your computer's performance, but it has some serious downsides. Reliability is one issue.

RAID 0 (because data is distributed across 2 drives) is about twice as likely to fail as a single drive. Recovering data from a failed RAID 0 array is problematic.

6. MarkLeyland

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Unless you have a need for esata type connections, I would go with the top or first one.

8. bigbear

bigbear

If you don't mind a clean install of windows my preference would be to get a better board that supports 3gb/s and more sata ports.
    I have not checked out the price of the links you posted but I know they can be expensive

9. MarkLeyland

Something like this?http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_p5q_deluxe/

Wow this is becoming expensive but I think it's the way foward (and all because I ordered some high end hard drives). :)

Will my pentium (R) D processors fit in this and can I use the heatsink I already have?

This will be my first build so please bear with.

10. bigbear

bigbear

That board does not support your cpu, you can reuse the heatsink
    With out knowing you full specs I have compared this board to your old board
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121323

11. MarkLeyland

I thought it did as mine is dual core? Might have to save for the CPU then.

This is what I have:
    Intel(R) Pentium (R) d CPU 3.40ghz x2
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~3399 Mhz

Thanks

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/898003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice