1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

setting up raid 1 "bios not installed"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chichi, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chichi

chichi Thread Starter

purchased a p4c800E. Tried to create a RAId 1 array. Setting xp up in new XP Pro installation but, wont go into setup and posts the following message:
    "No drives on FastTrak controller, Bios not installed." I was able to go into setup of XP Pro when floppy with Intel IAA raid controller was in floppy but in the end, a similar message: "No drives installed, check connections...
    I was told the HDD had to be identical. Please help. Frustrated at this point. I was able to set up with the two drives in SATA 1 and SATA 2 and no array. "....No bios installed" message still appears but, it does open into XP Pro.

2. active95

active95

First of all , judging by the error message it seems that you have the RAID "enabled" in BIOS. Just to make sure, double check it.
    2. Did you set up the hdd's as masters ? One master per channel.
    3. Are you able to enter the RAID setup? If you do , did u setup the RAID ( as in RAID 0, 1 etc ). Try and format the drives individualy and then hook them up as masters on each channel and see.
    4. Look for an update BIOS on the web. Possible some incompatibility with the hdd that you are using.
    Post back .
    HTH

3. chichi

chichi Thread Starter

both drives are SATA and set-up on SATA1 and SATA2. There are no jumpers on SATA drives. Yes SATA Raid is enabled. Thanks for help.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, I checked the specs on your board. You have both a sata controller and a raid controller. You are getting the message because there are no drives attached to the promise controller. You can get rid of the message by disabling the promise controller in the bios. The message does no harm if you decide to leave it alone. The sata controller you put your drives on does not support raid; so if you want raid you will have to start from scratch.

Here is how you setup raid. Since this is sata raid; there is no master or slave. One device per controller; there is no need to format the drive first. Creating the array destroys all data on both drives. Install each drive on the promise controller [check your manual for placement on the board] After each drive is connected; restart the computer. You will need to enter the raid bios CTRL F if I remember [I generally use highpoint controllers] Once in the bios you will need to create the array. If you want performance you will choose raid 0. If you want redundancy you will choose raid 1. Raid 01 is both performance and redundancy; however it takes four drives. After you create the array you will need to install xp. Boot with your xp cd and when you see the message to hit F6 to load scsi / mass storage driver; do so. Have your promise driver on a floppy [because that is the only place either win2k or xp will find a scsi / raid driver] After a few seconds you will get a message to insert the disk and press enter. Select your driver from the displayed list. After setup loads you will be able to create a partition and format with ntfs. Once you load the promise driver, it is the same as loading any os.

5. active95

active95

Thought u tried the IDE version. Anyways , after the POST are u able to get into the RAID setup routine? If you do ,create the RAID , might wanna format the drives ( not quite need it , since you're installing XP and can do it from the setup ) , or check for a new version of a BIOS

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One more thing. If you use raid 0 [as I do] a backup plan is essential. If you loose one drive of a raid 0 array, you loose everything. Even raid 1 should have a backup plan. I use Acronis True Image to make an image once per week. Save the image to another hd, span to cdrs, or copy to a dvdr disk. When I setup raid for someone, I tell them that data they do not backup is data they do not care about.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Formatting drives prior to creating the array does no good. They must be partitioned and formatted after the array is created.

8. active95

active95

True.. but in some weird circumstances it was the only way to make the array see the drives.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The array does not see anything. The raid bios is what recognizes the drives. The creation of the array will destroy all data on the disk in any case.

10. active95

active95

Dude.. i'm not going to turn this thing into a pee-pee competition .. on a Abit NF2 the only thing that made the RAID bios "see" the drives was to format them placing them into the array

11. chichi

chichi Thread Starter

do both HDD need to be identical or can I use the two HDD had? Also, when I did go in and set up the array , installed the drivers... installation of XP ceased with message indicating no drives installed, check connections...

12. active95

active95

If you were able to get into the RAID setup routine ( before starting to get into windows installation ) , then it's not a mobo problem but a windoze problem.
    Quick question. When you start the installation of windoze, right in the begining did you noticed a message " if you have a raid press F key "?. You should . Go ahead and press the F^ key and when asked , insert the floppy disk which has the drivers , the continue the setup.
    HTH

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, they do not HAVE to be identical. The array will twice the size of the smallest drive [in raid 0] or the same size of the smallest drive in raid 1. If you have a 40 gig and a 80 gig drive, and you are running raid 0, you will have an 80 gig raid array; a 40 gig raid array in raid 1.

It is the F6 key to hit at the beginning of the install process. You will see the message at the bottom of the screen for about 10 seconds. During that period, you can hit the F6 key to load drivers for your raid controller.

14. chichi

chichi Thread Starter

When doing the Raid do each hard drive require O.S. installed for mirror or security?

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, once you create the array [either raid 0 or 1] it will be treated as one disk by the os. You can partition an array just like you partition any disk. In fact I usually partition the array into at least two partitions. One for the os, basic apps like office, quicken, etc. The other is used for large apps like games. Once you load the raid driver during setup, it is the same as loading any os.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/228447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice