1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up remote secure office - Care to help?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KalboMalto, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KalboMalto

KalboMalto Thread Starter

Any of you folks up to a small challange?

I have been asked to set up a remote office in Asia. The office will be will be communicating via email, fax, chat and file transfers to 2 other offices in Asia and to the US. They will also be communicating directly with clients in the US at times so we need to look as if they are in the US.

The system must have the following elements:

- Highly secure
    - Easy to use for the onsite operators (server can be complex as net manager will be onsite)
    - IP records need to show originating in North America, preferably in the USA
    - Switching proxies on a regular basis, preferably on the gateway machine
    - All passing through one dialup connection. If possible, load balance and share 2 dialups.
    - Network should automatically reconfigure if dialup service (dns's) changes.
    - We have mail servers and websites set up in the US to pass mail through but most mail programs attach the local IP of the mail sender

I can, and would prefer, to install a server onsite to manage and host the following:
    - Mail server
    - Chat server
    - VPN (software and then later hardware)
    - Firewall
    - Router
    - File sharing and transfer
    - Encryption of data

Any ability to remotely manage the server would be of great advantage.

A secure way for thick headed, non geek managers to "manage" their passwords would be a huge benefit. One complaint in initial discussions was that they have to remember different passwords for each application. Yes, that?s called a security feature!!! Duh

Faxing is currently being handled via eFax. Unless there is a very strong case to change, I would like to stay with this service for internal political reasons.

Hiring an outside service to pass the data is not going to be an option as it is seen as a risk.

The budget is pretty wide open but has to be justifiable.

Any of you guys been through this and can offer some guidance?

I'm not sure how to repay anyone who can offer some grand ideas but I'm open to suggestions

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What does the job pay? :D

3. KalboMalto

I'm not sure if you mean the installation and configuration job in Asia or the job of suggestions for configuration. The job in Asia is taken by me. :D

If you can be a real assistance on the configuration, email me and we will discuss it. ;)

4. scottosan

scottosan

I'd recommend getting a couple Cisco VPN concentrators

5. KalboMalto

Clearly a good idea but it doesn't address all the issues

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice