1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting Up Repeater Routers - HELP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by antonbak, Sep 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. antonbak

antonbak Thread Starter

Hello All,

I have a fiber Model ( ZHONE ) and the following hardware:

Cicso Linksys E900
    Linksys WRT54
    D-Link DIR-518
    Apple Time Capsule
    Cicso Small Business 24 port switch

I also have 4 different LAN points across the house, and need to use the routers I have to create one single network ( Repeaters )

Please help, I cannot find the right settings for them to work.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You'll never get what you want to do with that equipment working right.

The only way to do this properly is to get real access points which can work together as a single system. Companies which make hardware which don't require a dedicated wireless controller are Aerohive, Ubiquiti, Aruba Networks, and Meraki.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    By this post in no way am I discounting the solid advice given above by zx10guy.

Do you really want to use those routers as Repeaters (also called Range Extenders; connect to the wireless and re-broadcast the signal)? If so, that's going to be really difficult to set up and discover how poorly the network will perform. First step is to determine for each router if it supports that mode. Second is to see for which routers there is third party (DD-WRT or Tomato for example) firmware.

If you really want to connect those routers to ethernet and use them as wireless access points I can post the set-up for that. But, as advised above, you'll surely run into some difficulties.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

To add to what Terry said, even if you connect each of those routers to a LAN drop and use them in AP mode only, you're still in trouble when it comes to roaming or being in a location where two or more of those routers overlap in coverage. Using one router as an AP on the same SSID is marginal but workable. Adding a second is definitely something to really think long and hard about considering the increased risk for problems.

5. antonbak

antonbak Thread Starter

Hello Gentlemen,

Thank you for all your replies.

I understood both your responses, however, would like to ask for your advice. I cannot only use one router to cover the house, as it is a big flat area ( around 3000 sq.ft )

I would not mind having 2 networks, if that works, can you advise please ?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1178576

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice