Setting up VNC server on Linksys WRT54G

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JZOSU1129

I'm trying to set up my home network computer as a server for a VNC (Local IP address of 192.168.1.100).

Being that I have a Dynamic IP address from Bright houe I've already registered my computer to get a "static" address.

I am not able to see the open ports 5900 and 5800 even though I've done the following.
-Entered my router using 192.168.1.1 (entered my username/password)
-I "Unclicked" the Block Annonmous Users option
-Under Gaming & Applications I enter ports 5900 to 5900 "Both" 192.168.1.100 and clicked "enable"
-I did the same for 5800 to 5800

-I then went online to various websites and they were not able to see me through ports 5900 or 5800.
-I tried port 50000, since I have a wireless webcam (Petcam) that I view thorugh the interent and that port reads correctly. I did not setup that port however, the Panasonic software opened that port for me.

Bottom line, what am I doing wrong? I've read a ton of thigns online and I'm lost... PLEASE HELP!

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Did you do port forwarding or port triggering on that router?
How did you test the connection? Did you use Shields up?
Do you have any software firewalls on that computer?
Can you VNC into that computer locally on your lan from another comptuer on your lan using the lan ip address?

JZOSU1129

After logging into my linksys router I setting the "Applications & Gaming"
tab, then under "Port Range Forwarding" I enter the information I listed above.

Went online to http://www.canyouseeme.org/. and entered port 5900 and 5800, niether of which worked. Since reading your post I've verified this through GRC-ShieldsUP!

I don't have any add'l firewall software installed.

I can not see the computer locally through Mocha Lite, even though I've verified all the information. This is just proof that something is not correct.

After you set up VNC, the only configuration you need is port forwarding.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Maybe you could share the EXACT make and model of the modem and the router with us?

You may want to look at teamviewer it free for personal use and has all the features of VNC then some. best of all it uses a connection server so no port forwarding or IP monitoring. Only reason why I didn’t offer to resolve is because I used VNC for years and after using teamviewer it’s a whole new remote world out there.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The only problem with TeamViewer is that it's only for private use, commercial use requires you buy a license. :)

The only problem with TeamViewer is that it's only for private use, commercial use requires you buy a license. :)
True but compared to the cost of webex or logmein teamviewer is the most cost effective. Also you can house an sql database onsite with all your clients connections (one click connections) using their database software. We started with teamviewer 8 months ago and we love it. we came from VNC and the high cost logmein systems. In the past 8 months we lost service due to a connection server outage once and that only lasted 2 hours. All in all we love the software and the more you use it the more you realize its features.:D:D

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I like TeamViewer as well, I have the host installed in all my family's computers. They're as far away as Hawaii, and I'm in PA, so it's handy for support.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online