Setting Up VPN Server Messes Up File Sharing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

evmeister

Hi Guys

I'm a newbie here at the forum but I am a long time user of IT and work in the IT industry.

I've been Googling frantically to find a solution for this but have found nothing.

Background
I have 3 machines which I am using to interact with each other as a part of my ventures in web development.
1) Main Machine - Running Windows XP Media Center Edition. I have a network drive mapped to the website directory on my Web Server so I can load the files and work with them direct without having to copy/cut.
2) Web Server - Running Windows XP Professional SP2 connected via Wireless. It is used to host my website and uses Windows file sharing to share the website directory. I administer this PC using VNC from my other two computers.
3) Laptop - Running Windows XP Professional SP2. This has a mapped network drive to the shared Web Site directory on the Web Server configured to use offline files, so I can work with the files whilst not connected to the network, then synchronise when I reconnect to the network.

All this has been working great with the offline files on my laptop and having the mapped network drives on both computers to work with the files on my website whether at home or elsewhere.

However, I am someone who isn't easily satisfied with leaving things as they are and I like to test the limits on what may be possible.

The Problem
Whilst playing around the other day on my laptop at my Girlfriends house (connected to her wireless network, not my own) creating new pages for my website when I suddenly got an idea. I thought that if I set up a advanced connection on my webserver to accept a VPN connection then I would be able to update the files through the internet from wherever I was by connecting to the VPN on my laptop.

So I VNC'd onto my WebServer, set up the connection. Setup a VPN dialer on my laptop using Windows XP's "Create A New Connection" wizard and tested it out. And it worked great. I could tinker with the files for my website on my laptop and save them back to my web server through the VPN connection. GREAT!

However, when I get home and try to access the files though the LAN on my main PC I cannot. I can see the web server on the LAN in my Workgroup but cannot access any of the shared folders on it anymore.

I deleted the Web Server incoming connection used for the VPN, and I could access the folders again from my Main PC. Setup the VPN again and the shared folder's disappeared again. I cannot get this to work with files to be shared on the LAN and the VPN at the same time.

Sorry if that was a bit waffly but I didn't want to miss anything. If there are any details needed to diagnose this further then please ask and I will provide. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online