1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up Wifi on Recently Purchased Refurbished Laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sal22, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sal22

Sal22 Thread Starter

Hi there to everyone,

I'm a new member and this is my first post, so I would firstly like to apologise in advance if I appear somewhat slow and clueless, as when it comes to matters of IT, I am not the brightest spark in the box.

The reason for my post relates to the problems I am experiencing in setting up my Wifi for the first time on this newly purchased Dell E6400 laptop (Vista), as for the past few days I have gone around and around in circles with various Virgin Media technicians in getting me set up on Wifi, and after each session of them talking me through varying instructions, I'm asked to call back again, after they have re-set the passwords, however, since the last time they did this, the two original VM options have disappeared entirely, and there is a message stating that I have no Wifi networks and that the radio is switched off (not that I understand what that means). Furthermore, the last technician asked me to connect the ethernet cable to the laptop, which I have done, as if not connected I cannot use the Internet.

Once again, I apologise for my babbling, and hope that it makes sense to someone, and would be grateful for any assistance, however, please bear in mind that I am quite clueless when it comes to IT, and will need step-by-step instructions, and so I would be grateful for your patience if you are able to help with my problem.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Dell Latitude E6400 laptop is several years old and originally came with Windows XP or Windows Vista.
    What's the exact 7-character "service tag" number on yours?

You said this is a newly-purchased laptop.
    Did you purchase it second-hand from someone or refurbished from a company?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Sal22 likes this.
  3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What wireless adapter (find it in the Device Manager under Network Adapters)?

Is it switched on (assuming an integrated adapter)?

Are you able to detect your Wi-Fi network? If so, what exactly happens when you try to connect?

Sal22 likes this.
  4. Sal22

Sal22 Thread Starter

Hi there Flavallee, thank you for responding.

The laptop is a refurbished model from a company. I have checked for the Service Tag reference you mentioned, and it is as follows:- JSLLLK1. Apologies for my brief reply, as I am rushing in and out and trying to catch up on any responses as and when I can more thoroughly. Thanks again.

5. Sal22

Sal22 Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet, thank you for responding.

I'm dashing out of the door at the moment, but will follow your instructions on my return, and post you on my progress. Thanks again.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should be aware that Vista is no longer supported by Microsoft or many other third party software vendors such as Mozilla and Google and many others. Do you have an option of returning the laptop or upgrading to a supported operating system such as Windows 7, 8.1, or 10 or a Linux distro?

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to that service tag number, you have THIS Dell Latitude E6400 laptop.
    According to its system configuration section, it appears it originally came with Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit or with Windows Vista Business SP1 32-bit.
    The original Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker on it will confirm which Windows version it came with.
    And if it was refurbished by a qualified company, it may also have a refurbished Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker on it.

It appears it originally came with this hardware:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 2.66 GHz processor
    2 GB or 4 GB of DDR2-800 RAM
    160 GB SATA hard drive
    DVD+/-RW disc drive
    NVIDIA Quadro FX/NVS graphics
    IDT 92HDxxx high definition audio
    Intel 825xx gigabit ethernet
    Dell Wireless 370 or Intel WiFi Link 5xxx wireless

If that laptop has a working ethernet connection, please do the following in it:
    Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file.
    After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
    Information about your laptop will appear.
    Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sal22 likes this.
  8. Sal22

Sal22 Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet,

I have followed your instructions and when entering Device Manager and then Network Adapters, the following options are available:-

- Intel(R) LM Gigabit Network Connection
    - Intel(R) Wifi Link 5100 AGN

When you get the chance, could you possibly talk me through what I should do next? Many thanks and have a good day.

9. Sal22

Sal22 Thread Starter

Hi there,

Following is a copy of the text:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Business, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9550 @ 2.66GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3570 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 149 GB (100 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0X574R
    Antivirus: None

10. Sal22

Sal22 Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the information Triple6 as I wasn't aware. I have a three month warranty, I just want to make sure that I have covered area before going back to the seller with a full and thorough description of the problems that I am facing and that I'm not talking complete nonsense.

Thanks again for your help, and have a good day.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Determine whether your integrated wireless adapter is switched on. Just guessing--haven't looked up any info on your particular PC--probably the Fn + F2 key combination toggles the wireless on/off.

If the wireless is switched on click on the Network icon in the Notification Area and see if your Wi-Fi network is detected. If so, try to connect to it,

Sal22 likes this.
  12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to your TSGSIU log, your laptop appears to have pretty much all of its original hardware.

I'm surprised a legitimate refurbishing company would sell you a laptop with a Windows operating system that's pretty much extinct.
    Can you provide the name of that company or a webpage link to it?
    If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sal22 likes this.
  13. Sal22

Sal22 Thread Starter

Hi there,

I don't mind sharing the cost of the laptop, which is £72.00, but I don't really want to name and shame the seller until I have given them the opportunity to address the matter accordingly, I just wanted to get all of my facts straight before contacting them again. Thanks again for all of your help and advice.

14. Sal22

Sal22 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help TerryNet, however, I'm giving up for the time being as my brain has turned to mush, however, I will update you on any progress (if any) that I make.

All best wishes
    Sal

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    From what I can determine, 72.00 pounds equates to about $101.00 U.S..
    If that laptop is in good physical shape and had Windows 7 installed in it instead of Windows Vista, it would be a good deal.
    I wish you good luck with the seller.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Sal22 likes this.
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1207509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice