1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up Win98 machine on Novell Server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by smyoung, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smyoung

smyoung Thread Starter

I've been asked to supply a small business with some new computers running windows98. There existing network uses a Novell Netware 4.11 Server with about 8 Win95 Machines. I have no experience with Novell, so please excuse my ignorance. I've done some searching, but haven't found anything that helps, so I thought I'd stop here before I go back to searching. If someone could supply a relevant link it would be greatly appreciated.

The server is running Netware 4.11 (Aug 96).
    I also saw Netware 4.x Console Monitor 4.34

What do I need to do to connect the Windows 98 machine to the server? Is it as simple as installing the protocals?

Do I have to do anything on the server? I'm replacing the existing computer that is already connected. Is there any software I need to load, or just the protocals?

Thanks for any help.

-Steve

2. angel

angel

You'll have to install a Netware Client. You can use Microsoft's client or Novell's. I would suggest Novell's. Go to <a href="http://download.novell.com/sdMain.jsp">Novell's</a> download section and grab the appropriate client. You'll need to unzip it and then run the install.
    You'll need to know the server information which you can grab from another Windows client that's already configured.

3. 0x29a

0x29a

Another thing to think about is being sure you set the NDS Tree, context and server name at client set up time correctly. Also, do a custom client install and uncheck everything that you can when prompted to install extra components (such as Workstation Management, Distributed Print services, and stuff.) I can't imagine that they are using any of these components on an 8 client LAN, so the lower overhead on the local machine will help. Since this an existing installation of Netware, they are probably already running IPX, which up until NW5.x was the native protocol. Now it's IP. Still, if these machines are able to connect to the Internet, be sure to leave the default selection of IP and IPX. Also, note any port captures and/or printer settings. If the workstations are set to use a network printer, that will have to be setup. There should be nothing really to do on server.

Good Luck,

Andrew

4. smyoung

smyoung Thread Starter

Thanks for that info. It seems pretty straight forward. I'm going to download files from Novell now.

_All_ information required will be listed in the network settings on the existing computer, correct? Do the files I'm downloading from Novell now, just add a Novell Netware client service under Network Properties, or is it a seperate configuration utility.

Also, just another basic question, what advatages are there in running Netware? I have no experience with any Novell products and find it would be easier to be using NT or 2000(because that's what I know). Why would they be using Netware? They don't really do anything except basic office work and hook test equiptment up to computers. They do have one program on the server that the workstations access. Perhaps it was the best solution last millenium when the network was setup? Judging by the computers and monitors it was before 1996. They do professional cable installation for computer networks and telephone systems.

Thanks again.

-steve

5. 0x29a

0x29a

More than likely. If you go in to Network Properties and view the properties of the Netware client it should all be listed there. You should also be able to get the Tree, context and server info at login on newer clients you'll find an "Advanced' button on the lower right-hand side of the login dialog box. Most older clients (2.x) simply display that info in the main dialog. Of course, printer setting are under the Control Panel applet.

Some of the best strengths of Netware are stability and security. Before we upgraded the hardware, we had a server run for over 445 days straight. I've never seen that with a Microsoft product. Also, there just aren't that many viruses that attack Netware, and as for exploits, I'd like to see someone access the file system on my Netware box. With the exeption of OS 10, Mac support is stronger and simpler under Netware (granted, not germaine to your situation).

I don't even know where to begin discussing users and rights and all that. Not for lack of knowledge, rather, it's due to lack of objectivity. Netware rocks MS anything as a server platform.

Just 2 solicited cents :)

Andrew

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice