1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting Up Wired Home Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jes in DC, Aug 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jes in DC

Jes in DC Thread Starter

I was pleased to find that Cat5e wires were run into every room in my home. They terminate in a small closet in the basement. This is also were our cable/internet (we have xfinity) comes into the house and is split. The only down side is that there is only one electrical outlet and it's not particularly close to this little closet.

I currently have our Gateway and wifi router on the first floor. I have an Xfinity xFi Advanced Gateway (with two ports). Our wireless is less than ideal in certain parts of the house and given that the Cat5s are already run behind the walls, I figure it's time to set up a wired network (at a very minimum for the gaming system).

If I put a patch panel in the basement where all the cables terminate, could I then plug the gateway into the wall jack/drop on the first floor, or does the gateway need to be moved downstairs so that it could be plugged directly into the patch panel? I'd rather not have to move a gateway or switch to the basement due to the outlet situation and general lack of space.

Thanks in advance for any advice

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    In the basement closet, are all the cables just terminated with RJ-45 plugs? You could put a 8 or 16-port gigabit switch in the closet and have one port connected to the gateway.
    Additionally, it shouldn't cost too much to have another power outlet run to the wiring closet. That would prevent unsightly wires running to the nearest outlet.
    You could, at some point, add a NAS (network attached storage) unit in the closet, connected to the switch, for household backups or media server benefits. (I use a WD MyCloud on my network to provide music, photos and video content to any/all of the PCs and TVs in the house.)

3. Jes in DC

Jes in DC Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. They are not terminated with anything at the moment. Just cut wire.

So what you are saying though is that the gateway does need to be moved to the basement?

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You have two options. One to terminate the ends of the wires with RJ45 male connectors. The second is to punch down the wires into a patch panel. It really depends on what you want to do. I started with the drops in my home with RJ45 male connectors at the end where I set up my server room. I connected all the terminated drops into a switch. Later, I re-terminated all the ends into a patch panel. Either way requires a switch. If you connect all the drops into a switch at the closet, you can leave your current gateway where it is.

You also have to determine if the jacks in each of the room are wired to T568A or T568B wiring standards.

5. Jes in DC

Jes in DC Thread Starter

Thanks very much

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice