1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting up wireless router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by littlefriend, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littlefriend

littlefriend Thread Starter

I have an older computer that 99% of the time will not read disk. When it detects anything, it is usually just music CDs.

My husband just got our first laptop and we wanted to hook it up to our DSL using a wireless router. We are both pretty much in the dark on all of this stuff and didn't realize that you had to run a disk on the Desk-top to do this.

Is there anyway to do this without having to run this through the desktop?

Thanks for any info!

2. mrdeadman

mrdeadman

why do you have to run a disk on the desktop again? You should be able to setup your wireless connection on your laptop without the help of your desktop. No desktop needed for wireless connection to a router... Once you have your wireless router hooked up (properly) and your laptop hooked up properly with a wireless network interface you should not need the desktop.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can connect the laptop with a cable to the router for configuration, and you don't need any disk. The web based setup for the router will allow you to do any necessary configuration. I never use the setup software provided, all they do is install useless software on the machine!

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and model of the broadband modem.
    Make and model of the router.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Make/model of your computer.
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648135

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice