1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting Up Wiring Closet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by joybull, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joybull

joybull Thread Starter

i have a few questions. thank you for reading.

I need to set up a wiring closet. There are about 15 cable runs, which will be terminated in a patch panel in the closet. I need to connect this to a cable modem. what is in between the patch panel and the cable modem?

i will also be setting up wireless in this house. Can i just plug in wireless access points into ethernet jacks (meaning: the horizontal cabling is just normal cat 5 cable that can be plugged directly into an access point with a patch cable, no?)?

lastly, if i want best coverage, i assume i can just use boosters to boost the signals of the wireless points. will they need to match the brand of the access points because i will be mixing and match waps?

thank you very much for any help.

2. Fuzzy Gnome

Fuzzy Gnome

1. A cable router. You may want to get one with built in options like a firewall, a wireless access point, or a switch. You need to connect a lot of cables, so you may need one or more additional switches. At work I use a cable router/8-port switch with firewall and VPN and an additional 8-port switch.
    2. Yes.
    3. Don't know. It's probably better to be safe than get fined by the FCC ;)

3. joybull

joybull Thread Starter

Thank you loads for the response.

4. joybull

joybull Thread Starter

a follow-up question: Will i use standards ethernet patch cables to go from the patch panel port to the ethernet router\switch? Furthermore, I expect that i will be using a roadrunner cable modem and will just use a wan port to connect the switch.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Yes the patch cables will work fine but you are going to need a Router in between the Cable Modem and your switch. See if you can buy a combination Router with an 8 port switch. Or maybe you would be better off with just a basic one port router and then hook your switch up to that.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice