1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setting VCR timer with LG/cable

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Boothbay, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

I have the LG 4k 49'' TV and a Panasonic VCR. I know, call me 'old fashion', but my vcr is just fine for the limited time i use it. I have no problem recording a tv show as long as i am watching it, but that seems to defeat the purpose of using a vcr..unless, of course, your so addicted to the show your recording, that u don't mind watching it again and again. My problem is with time recording...which I prefer. I know with cable that you have to have the channel set that u want to record on timer, and then shut the TV off. When i playback, all i get is no signal recorded. Now, my cable is set for channel 03, and my vcr input is set for AV1. Obviously, I cannot leave as far as i know, it on the av1 INPUT, FOR THE simple reason, my cable setup won't let that input stay on. I need to have it set to a channel that I want to record. The remote has a vcr button, but the Spectrum tech knew nothing about it. I presume that a DVR would work on the same principal as a vcr, but i never owned a DVR. Has anyone the same setup as I have and got a timer to work with the recorded tape shown on playback? MY TV is LG 49" UB8500 and remote is 8780L

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    If you are using the VCR to record from any output on the cable box, check the cable box settings to see if it has any kind of a power saver option that turns the box off after a certain amount of time of no user activity beyond just watching the output. If you can disable that option, you should be able to record an active signal at any time.

A set top box / DVR combination unit from your cable company would work a bit differently than your VCR setup. It would first allow you to record different programs on different channels without you needing to manually change a channel. The DVR function would still be working even though the video outputs to the TV are turned off. A set top box / DVR combination unit from your cable company might also allow you to record more than one program from different channels at the same time, while you may be watching a different channel. It would also probably have much more storage time than a VCR with a single tape.

3. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

I was aware of that and made sure that I left the cable box ON and I still did not get a picture.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is the VCR connected to the cable box or the TV?

5. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

As you well know, there is no hdmi input or output on a VCR, so i have a coax cable coming out of cable box to the coax input of the VCR, or were they called the RF input of the VCR, and the VCR out to the Aux in of my TV.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    As I also well know VCR's also had composite inputs and some TV's have video and audio outputs too and some people use audio/receiver receivers or converter boxes to connect older devices so those things I know too and why I asked.

7. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

I sensed by your reply that I must have offended you...if I did, it was NOT my intention. Maybe I could have used a different way of explaining So if I did, than I apologize.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sorry, long day and the first few words seemed loaded.

Just to confirm that when you have the VCR on and the TV input set to the VCR input can you watch whatever channel you tune the cable box too? Or does that also not work?

Here's a VCR setup guide from a Canadian cable provided that describes how to set up VCR recordings: https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1023
    The same principles to apply to almost any cable provider though that has coaxial ports on their cable boxes. The key is to have the cable box tune to the desired channel for the show and the VCR to always record the channel 3(or 2 or 4 depending in region and box).

Also, when not using the VCR, are you using HDMI to get the best image quality from the cable box to the TV? There's likely a lot of video and audio quality loss using the coaxial cable.

9. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

Just to confirm that when you have the VCR on and the TV input set to the VCR input can you watch whatever channel you tune the cable box too? Or does that also not work?
    Yes...

Also, when not using the VCR, are you using HDMI to get the best image quality from the cable box to the TV? There's likely a lot of video and audio quality loss using the coaxial cable.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but through a HDMI splitter...one end to the TV and the other end to my Kitchen TV. I had no problem with the typical pre smart TV sets, so when I did the hook up with this LG, I had to do a search for what they asked for ..."Another Box, or device"..which had set it up to their AV1 input. Since i have been tweaking, I completely ignored the input button on the VCR remote, which brought up Channel 03, and i immediately saw what cable channel i was on. I haven't tried it as of this writing, but now i have to see if I could get the TV and VCR in sync, in order to do a time recording. I know I could record as watching a channel, but my main purpose is time recording. I know it didn't work when i left the cable box on and a regular cable channel tuned in. Perhaps there is a way to leave the TV set on Channel 03, is my next step. Thanks

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The TV doesn't matter too much, it's just shows you what the VCR can see, but the VCR and cable box are the critical ones. The VCR cannot change the channel on a digital cable box so that's why it must be always tuned to Channel 3, or 2 or 4, and the cable box must be separately tuned to the channel you wish to record each and every time. Maybe disconnect the HDMI cable so that the coaxial out is the only one being used, just in case it can only output to one output at a time.

11. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

Well it seems all went for naught. After getting to get the vcr and cable to talk to each other, another problem occurred. Before I have a chance to press the REC button, in less than 10 seconds the vcr shuts off. This has nothing to do with a time recording, just face to face recording . One time it did wait for me to press the rec button and it still shut itself off in about 10 seconds. Thank you for your time.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should see about getting a DVR from the cable company, much better than a VCR.

13. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

Hi Triplet6, i wonder if you can read up on the link i will give here about a NEW DVR, as you suggested, and give me your opinion. I know absolutely nothing about this format, being in the dark all these years as you can tell by my OP. You know what i wanted to do with a VCR. If you do check, it interestingly shows step by step in glorious pictures on how to open it up and install a hd, ( which in itself, confuses me ). I thought a DVR came with a HD? Perhaps that is the reason why its only $49. That is fine, cause i have extra hd's.

Attached Files:

14. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

Hi Triplet6, i wonder if you can read up on the link i will give here about a NEW DVR, as you suggested, and give me your opinion. I know absolutely nothing about this format, being in the dark all these years as you can tell by my OP. You know what i wanted to do with a VCR. If you do check, it interestingly shows step by step in glorious pictures on how to open it up and install a hd, ( which in itself, confuses me ). I thought a DVR came with a HD? Perhaps that is the reason why its only $49. That is fine, cause i have extra hd's.

15. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    FYI, I am not seeing any links and the photo you attched is a tiny thumbnail with most of the text being way too small to read.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice