Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Setting Wifi on XP "Connecting to Network" lag

Solved 
972 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm trying to set up my wifi on my old ASUS P5AD2E XP Pro SP3, but the WPA2 encrypted wifi doesn't seem to register with XP. I have all my Windows 7 systems easily paired with the WPA2 wifi, but when I go into Network settings in XP, XP picks up on the Wifi SSID name, but when I double click on the network name and type in the 8-key WPA2 key, it shows the message, "connecting to Network" for about 1-2 minutes, then the box dissapears without connecting to the Wifi network. Everytime I click on the SSID name, it asks to enter the passkey, but it then lags for 2 minutes telling me it is connecting to the network, but it never does. Also, I need to always go into "services.msc" to enable the "Wireless Zero Configuration" so that XP can search for the Wifi network. I have the Wireless Zero configuration set to "start Automatically" but I always have to click "Start Service" button in order to even search for the network. The adapter card installed on the motherboard is a "Linksys WMP54G Wireless G- PCI Adapter". I also tried to use the onboard ASUS wireless driver that is integrated with the motherboard, but when I tried to enter the 8 key WPA2 code, the ASUS Wifi control panel software was asking me to enter either 5 -digit, or 10+ digit hexadecimal codes. I was able to use the onboard ASUS wifi previously with my older wifi modem from my different service provider, but I guess the hardware is now too old to accept newer encryption from my new service provider router that uses WPA2?

Do you think the Linksys card is also too old to accept the modern WPA2 encryption?

WIN XP SP3 with Linksys WMP54G PCI Adapter
MOBO: ASUS P5AD2E

See less See more
#2 ·
it maybe - as its a hardware requirement for WPA2
try seeing if there are any updated drivers available for the device

If you have NO security or WEP Security setup on the router - will the XP PC now connect ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.