settings. . .It all started so innocently

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

patientpup

I tried to change my screen size.
Now the bottom of the properties window is not displayed, so I cannot change it back. I have no scroll bars and my internet access is zip due to my enormous screen display. I am on another computer, please help me not break this one too!

patientpup
Welcome to TSG!
Restart the machine and while it is restarting keep tapping the F8 key until a selection screen appears. Select safemode. Once in safemode reset your screen resolution to its proper setting.

Let us know if it works.

Dave

i'm not quite sure whats happened here ...
i think you mean the bit you want is off the bottom of the screen ?
you should be able to adjust the monitor
to bring the bits you want within reach ... i think

Hello John!

I know this trick because it happened to me a couple of years ago and it took awhile before I figured out what to do! :D

Dave

patientpup

ok boys,
I tried twice to boot while hitting F8 but it booted ignoring me.
Any other ideas

patientpup

ok you guys,
now I am truly messed up.
seems like the safemode thing made matters worse
my desktop is in shambles but the screen size is still livin so f'n large that nothin works!

Hi pup,
can you get back to the screen settings ?

yes

ok, adjust it back to where it was,

press the tab key four times,
press enter.

come back and answer this.

John :)

pyritechips

Jim
Gone but Never Forgotten
I know what he means. When the screen is large resolution the "OK" button on the display settings window is off the bottom of the screen and you can't click it. That's not a problem. All you have to do is make your settings change then just hit enter. Hitting enter activates whatever button is defaulted and in this instance OK is the default button.

M

Mowergun

Hi,

Saw this problem on my brother-in-law's computer once. (WinME) Tried to fix it by doing a system restore, but unfortunately he did not have the update to fix the bug in WinME system restore, so the last restore point was nearly a year old.

Later it occured to me that I might have fixed it by doing a scanreg /restore from DOS. John, pyritechips, would that work to restore his previous resolution settings if he does it before it is too late?

patientpup, what operating system do you have, and how long ago was it that your resolution was set as you want it? If it has been less than five days, maybe we can help you yet.

I know what he means. When the screen is large resolution the "OK" button on the display settings window is off the bottom of the screen and you can't click it. That's not a problem. All you have to do is make your settings change then just hit enter. Hitting enter activates whatever button is defaulted and in this instance OK is the default button.
Wish I had known that when I was trying to help my brother-in-law. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online