1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Settings may affect mapping folder with share permission.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by peterc, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterc

peterc Thread Starter

The network environment is a Workgroup consisting of Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7 Pro, and Windows XP Pro.

My example:
    I have enabled Guest account in the Windows Server 2008 R2 computer.
    I have created a new folder "guestshare" in c: and use Share with menu to add Guest with Read/Write Permission Level.

When I try to map it in the Windows XP Pro machine thru Map Network Drive function under Tools menu, I won't see that share using the Browse button. However, I can type the UNC path and map it.

If I turned off the Password Protected Sharing in the Windows Server 2008 R2 computer, I will see that share using the Browse button and able to map it. What is the reason for this behavior?

I wonder whether the following settings in Advanced sharing settings of Windows Server 2008 R2 can affect mapping:

File and printer sharing
    Public folder sharing

Since mapping a drive requires authentication, is there any settings in User Right Assignments and Security Options of Local Policy that can affect mapping? For example, I wonder about the following settings:

User Right Assignments
    Access the computer from the network
    Allow log on locally
    Deny access to this computer from the network
    Deny log on locally

Security Options
    Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only
    Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously
    Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts

Also, does the setting of Guest account in the Windows XP Pro have anything to do with the mapping in my example?

Thanks for any info.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/949215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice