Solved Settings?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Zxxa

Okay so apologies if this is in the wrong topic and if this is a really stupid question.
So, I recently bought a Dell, i7, windows 10, 2 in 1 laptop. When I purchase new items, I tend to be very protective about them.
So I'm worried that with notifications that pop up on my laptop (including when i'm using a browser such as edge or chrome etc) that I've clicked something that would disable some sort of use of my laptop/browser that cannot be changed?
So I guess my question is that can such a thing happen? Can you permanently disable some sort of feature/use of your computer/browser at all?
Again, apologies for the weird question but again I'm just a bit attached to my laptop.

Yes, a feature or component can be disabled by an attacker. Since you mentioned browsers, a good protection to prevent that from happening is Sandboxie. It puts the browser inside a 'sandbox' and creates a folder, making the browser think that that folder is the entire drive C. Any attacks coming thru the browser will be trapped in there, and you can delete the folder any time.

Now all software changes can be undone, but it depends on how difficult it is to do. For example, if a crypto virus encrypted all your programs, documents and photos and ask for a ransom before she gives you a decryption key, it would takes decades to find the correct decryption key without her help.

Zxxa

Yes, a feature or component can be disabled by an attacker. Since you mentioned browsers, a good protection to prevent that from happening is Sandboxie. It puts the browser inside a 'sandbox' and creates a folder, making the browser think that that folder is the entire drive C. Any attacks coming thru the browser will be trapped in there, and you can delete the folder any time.

Now all software changes can be undone, but it depends on how difficult it is to do. For example, if a crypto virus encrypted all your programs, documents and photos and ask for a ransom before she gives you a decryption key, it would takes decades to find the correct decryption key without her help.
Thanks for responding

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online