1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Setup cannot copy files????

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by EarthWorm, Mar 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EarthWorm

EarthWorm Thread Starter

Windows XP Pro

So it's like this, I was reinstalling windows but error messages popped up saying that the
    following files were missing and could not be copied even tho when I check there were indeed there on the disc. Can anybody explain why?

migregdb.ex_.
    icwconn1.ex
    icwconn2.ex
    inetwiz.ex
    icwhelp.dl
    icwconn.dl
    icwutil.dl
    icwrmind.ex_.
    icwdl.dl_.
    icwx25a.du_.
    icwx25b.du_.
    icwx25c.du_.
    icwip.du_.
    phone.ic_.
    phone.ve_.
    state.ic_.
    msicw.is_.
    msn.is_.
    support.ic_.
    msobshel.ht_.
    isignup.ex_.
    icwtutor.ex_.
    icwres.dl_.
    trialoc.dl_.
    oobeinfo.in_.
    oemlogo.gi_.
    mouse.ht_.
    isp.ht_.
    oempriv.ht_.

2. jwinathome

jwinathome

First things first...try another CD...if that doesn't work, try another CD-ROM, if that doesn't work, check the IDE cable. This problem usually ends up being a hardware issue, however, it could be as simple as a corrupt install CD. Let us know.

3. EarthWorm

EarthWorm Thread Starter

It's not the CD. I have two of them one for my desktop and another one for my laptop. I don't think it's the CD-ROM either cuz I'm able to read other CDs. And it's definitely not the IDE cable.

I've already tried reinstalling windows at least 3 times yesterday but encountered the same error message so then I copied migregdb.ex_. into the hard-drive using Ultimate Boot CD. When I reinstalled windows again the first error message came up asking for migreddb.ex which I then browsed and got from my hard drive. It worked and the file copied so I then stopped the reinstalling and moved all of the other files that could not be copied to my hard drive but none of the others worked.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

That is usually a memory error problem . . if there is any mismatch in the memory sticks, try taking one out and trying again . . if that does not help, download and run memtest86 to check the memory

5. EarthWorm

EarthWorm Thread Starter

The memtest didn't came up with any errors.

Any other suggestions?

6. bbearren

bbearren

Have you cleaned the CD?

Don't laugh (or curse), this is the most common solution I've encountered with this problem. Just because you can find the file name on the CD doesn't necessarily mean that all the 1's and 0's in the file are going to make the checksum come out right.

7. EarthWorm

EarthWorm Thread Starter

Nope. It's not that. I already tried to get the files from my other CD for my desktop.

8. jwinathome

jwinathome

Motherboard.

9. bbearren

bbearren

But, have you cleaned either CD?

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

Have you looked the motherboard over for bulging capacitors?

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I have to agree with simpswr here, that faulty RAM is the most common reason.
    Only at OS install time does all RAM get used in such a critical manner.

Even though it passes Memtest, if it is possible to remove one stick at a time I would do so.

12. skipg

skipg

I just encountered the same issue described in the original post. The list of files not copied are part of Internet Explorer 7, which explains the error. The files not copied are in the file setuperr.txt located in the %windows% directory, and I verified that the files existed in the correct directories after the repair.

I hope this helps someone else looking for the explanation...

--Skip

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

You are ruling out things that do cause these issues without trying other solutions and that is why you can't complete the install. Whether cd rom plays other cd's is irrelevant to the install issue, that places much more stress on the drive.
    The causes of this are cd, dc drive, memory or hard drive and it really does boil down to one of those so pick it! The way to find out, try others of the hardware in question.

14. Bodragon

Bodragon

I have the same problem. Trying to do a repair install from an SP3 slipstreamed CD. Not exactly the same files as others but around 50 odd. Also copied i386 folder from CD to hard disk (C:\i386) and tried an "upgrade install from there". Guess what? Same problem. Although the bunch of files was slightly different, many files would not copy with the "Setup cannot copy file xxxxxxxx.dl_. Ensure that the location specified below is correct... ...etc" error message. Guess what else? Browsing to the Windows\System32 folder sometimes the relevant file is already there (correct/latest version), and sometimes it's not. I'm baffled. My temporary solution is to make a note of the files that wouldn't copy and were not already present in the System32 folder and then do a manual expand and copy from the C:\i386 folder after installation completes. - That's assuming the uncopyable files are all destined for the System32 folder. I'm tearing my hair out, but such is my life...

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/551698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice